Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

No compression. Anti skid service required. Help pls!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No compression. Anti skid service required. Help pls!

I drive a 2007 Volvo s40 with about 50,000 miles on it. Earlier in the week I was driving it while I felt the engine kind of give out. I couldnt go more than 20 mph on it. A message saying " anti skid service required". I pulled over and turned off the engine. I tried to start it up again but it wouldn't turn. My timing belt is still in good shape and haven't had any leaks really. I had it checked out at the dealership and they said it has no compression and could possibly have head damage. They estimmated cost of repair was around 5,600$! Could a bad abs module cause this? Ive only had this car for 10 months and my warranties expired. I still owe 10,000 on it. I don't know what to do:-( any suggestions ? Thanks

Old 04-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

First remove the timing belt cover and check the alignment of your cams. If the belt has slipped then your marks will be off and the dealers findings might have some merit.

If you want to check compression yourself you can buy a cheap Harbor Freight compression tester for $20. You simply remove a spark plug and screw the proper fitting into the spark plug hole then hook up the gauge. Now crank the engine while holding the throttle wide open. The compression will stabilize after a few cranks. Usually 150-175psi is normal. All 5 cylinders should be within 10% of each other.

http://www.harborfreight.com/compres...kit-66216.html

If the head is damaged then you have a couple of options. The cheapest would be to remove and repair the bent valves yourself. I did this on a 2001 for about $500 in parts. The 2007 will be similar but a tad more expensive due to more valves. Any shop that deals in repairs could do this work too but you will mostly pay for labor. The dealer will be at the highest end of the cost.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Brothersport
I drive a 2007 Volvo s40 with about 50,000 miles on it. Earlier in the week I was driving it while I felt the engine kind of give out. I couldnt go more than 20 mph on it. A message saying " anti skid service required". I pulled over and turned off the engine. I tried to start it up again but it wouldn't turn. My timing belt is still in good shape and haven't had any leaks really. I had it checked out at the dealership and they said it has no compression and could possibly have head damage. They estimmated cost of repair was around 5,600$! Could a bad abs module cause this? Ive only had this car for 10 months and my warranties expired. I still owe 10,000 on it. I don't know what to do:-( any suggestions ? Thanks
Your story doesn't make much sense. You need to provide more detail, more history. What codes do you have?

"Anti skid service" is often caused by a bad ABS module. On some model years - don't know about yours - the ABS module can be fairly easily repaired.