Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

No Sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Sale

I've been looking for a replacement for my wife's 05 Acura TSX and we've both been attracted to the S40 (there's an all new TSX less than a year away and I don't want to wait, butI'm not crazy about buying a new car about to go out of production. That's why were considering something else). The T5 FWD w/ a few upgrade packages appears to be equippedpretty comparably (although more money) so we decided to drive one before we got too excited. Our most local dealer (20-25 minutes away) didn't have what we were looking for; the best they could do was an 07 AWD or a 2.4. We took the AWD since it has the bigger motor. Long story short, no sale. We both felt the car seemed awfully small inside. It is about 7 1/2inches shorter than the TSX, but the width is the same and it's got only about an inch less wheelbase. The car just felt allot smaller inside. Also the car seemed kind of sluggish. Seems to have a pretty loose torque converter (reminded me of my 99 Audi A6) where as the TSX, although the torque peak is much higher (about 4500 rpm), feels much more connected. I was really surprised at the almost lazy engine response since its' peak torque is so low (around 1850). It wasn'tin winter mode and I know it's new, but still I wasn't impressed (and either was my wife, who actually is the better judge since she drives the Acura everyday). I know the FWD model weighs quite a bit less,but I'd say this may be moreof a drive-ability issue that a diet won't cure.Anyway, we were both disappointed.The car definitely has some high quality interior appointments (probably enough of an upgrade so that if the performance and size issues were less prominent, it would be worth the extra dough) and it's a good looking car. Off the list for now though.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: No Sale

Smart move in my book, given the unresolved repair (and potentially serious safety issue) I am experienceing w/ my 8 month old S40 (see my other recent post). The S40 was my compromise in that I wanted a brand new european car for under 30K. It replaced a a 1997 Mercedes-Benz E320 that, although running fine, I feared was getting a bit long in the tooth. However, I now feel that one can do better for the money. The new (2007) TSX is a much better alternative, as is actually a lot more car for less money. I love the look of my S40 a lot on the outside, but after living w/ the interior I long for the better fit/finish my Benz (and most other modern cars) had and wow... I've not owned a car in the last decade that had so much wind noise! Good deals can be had on the S40, making it seem like a bargain. Wish I had taken a littl ebit more time... and done a lot more research.