Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise

Just changed rear brake discs and pads on my new 2nd hand S40, cos of rubbing noises. I found that both discs were so badly worn, they were braking up. I took it for test run to start bedding pads in, but still getting the same noise only not so profound, Seems to whine between 50 - 70 mph. Can anyone help me solve this problem. Got a sneeky feeling that the wheel bearings might be causing problem. I don't feel like replacing them if it is not the problem, plus it's the extra expense. Would dearly love some help on this one.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Default RE: noise

okay i had this problem on my s80 i think is it a minor light rubbing/humming noise? and does it fade when brakes are pressed?

Old 03-07-2007, 03:42 PM

Sounds rather like a humming sound, doesn't seem to go when the brakes are applied. Always seems to come from the nearside rear. The handbrake lever at the back of the caliper ( doesn't have the internal shoes like old volvo's) was quite stiff , as though it was starting to seize up, I managed to free it up. Trouble is, when the handbrake is operated and released, the lever doesn't fully return to its stop. I'm wondering if maybe the inner pad is not freeing from the disc and thats what is causing the rubbing followed by the humming sound at relatively high speed. It was just a thought that crossed my mind during the day. Unless you have any other suggestions? cos its beginning to drive me up the wall. I hate it when things don't work as they should.

The name's Allan by the way.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you using Volvo pads and rotors?

Old 03-10-2007, 08:03 AM

Yes used genuine volvo parts. I have spoken to a volvo mechanic about the wheel bearings, cos when I checked them they wrer running dry. So for everyone's benefit, He told me that they are supplied as the complete hub and never need greasing. Learn something new every day. I've not heard of a greaseless bearing before, but believe me it's true.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:40 PM

you can loosen e-brake by puling up the little cover thing ther is a like size 7-9 bolt in there loosen it and brake gets looser or tighten to make tighter to your desire see if that helps....(with bad rotors and pads someone might have made it tighter or to tight causing a consistant rub) try this and keep us informed

Old 03-12-2007, 02:26 PM

Assuming you mean the handbrake cable. I have already done that. The problem hasn't gone away. It hasn't got better or worse. But somehow I will get to the bottom of it.
Many thanks, Allan (Scotland UK)