Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Passenger side mirror came off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger side mirror came off?

(Prewarning, I don't know much about cars or how to work on one either, lol)

Hi everyone! I have a 2008 Volvo S40. Just yesterday I started noticing the side passenger mirror was kinda being flimsy and almost wanting to come off. And then today while getting on the interstate before having the chance to address it, it just flew off. Everything else looks to be ok from what I can tell (but I could be wrong). It still "rotates" with the controller to change the positioning of it. From what I can tell, it just seems to be the mirror that came off which has never happened before. I didn't have a chance to grab it either because it was on the interstate and I didn't want to stop. Just wanting to see the best option going forward on how to fix this....will it be easy? I came across this product that had really good reviews on Amazon and wondering if I can just fix it myself (looks easy but again I'm not a hands on type of car guy):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R6RQ9B4?pf_rd_p=ab873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=HHDH92Z6TQZ1TRM547V9 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R6RQ9B4?pf_rd_p=ab873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=HHDH92Z6TQZ1TRM547V9

Or I'm wondering if this is something I should instead take into my European mechanic to fix (but then they might send me to the Volvo dealer anyways which could cost some money). I'm also attaching a picture of what it looks like now...I'm not sure why it has this fogged, cracked look to it. Thoughts? Even if I go with the Amazon product route, is this fogged/cracked look something I need to fix before attaching the product to it or not? But again, this is just assuming that this Amazon product is the right fix and easy to install for someone like me. Based off the reviews, it seems really simple to do for anyone but I'm also wanting to make sure it lasts and is just as good as the original, not just a quick, cheap fix. If it needs to be replaced with a real quality manufacturer Volvo part by a professional, I'm ok going that route but just need to know. I want to just make sure I pass inspections and it is regulated, etc. Judging by the reviews from the Amazon product it does seem like at least one person posted about passing their inspection with no issues using the product, so that's good.

Do you agree from looking at the picture that it only seems to be the mirror and an easy fix or can you tell of any other issues that is going on?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by jagsfan05; 12-26-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

You just need a new mirror glass. It pops off and on. I've seen some crappy aftermarket ones so you might want to find a cheap used one from a junkyard.

Old 01-02-2020, 03:25 PM

Thanks for your reply! I ended up just ordering that product from Amazon but have yet to put it on. I sent this same picture on my original post to the seller. She mentioned that foggy, cracked look is probably from the previous adhesive of the first mirror? She suggested using rubbing alcohol on it before putting on the new mirror. (She stated this is something they tell every customer to do to help the new mirror attach better, not necessarily just for my situation). She said using rubbing alcohol wouldn't get rid of that cracked, foggy look though.

So my question is, should I try to remove that cracked, foggy look somehow before putting on the new mirror or will it not effect it any way to just leave it looking like that? If I should though, how do I go about doing it?

Old 01-02-2020, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

If you ordered an aftermarket one that is just glass, you'll have to adhere it to the foggy part you see. But an OEM replacement actually clips to the adjustment motor, so you would have to remove the old mirror (the foggy part).

Old 01-03-2020, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by ES6T
If you ordered an aftermarket one that is just glass, you'll have to adhere it to the foggy part you see. But an OEM replacement actually clips to the adjustment motor, so you would have to remove the old mirror (the foggy part).
Thanks again for your reply! I ordered that product from Amazon that I listed. It is glass but also comes with adhesive.

I sent this same picture on my original post to the seller. She mentioned that foggy, cracked look is probably from the previous adhesive of the first mirror? She suggested using rubbing alcohol on it before putting on the new mirror. (She stated this is something they tell every customer to do to help the new mirror attach better, not necessarily just for my situation). She said using rubbing alcohol wouldn't get rid of that cracked, foggy look though.

So my question is, should I try to remove that cracked, foggy look somehow before putting on the new mirror or will it not effect it any way to just leave it looking like that? If I should though, how do I go about doing it? She also mentioned that cracked, foggy look piece is referenced as the "backing plate". Is that correct?

Last edited by jagsfan05; 01-03-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, I forgot you posted a link. I checked it out and it does appear to be just glass. So in that case you need to adhere it to what you have left.

Couldn't tell you what would work from experience, we replace the whole mirror glass.

Old 01-05-2020, 05:50 PM

Thanks again for your reply! I know I need to adhere it to what I have left but my question is still kinda on that foggy, cracked look that is on the backing plate. I understand you might not know the answer but hoping maybe someone else does or perhaps you still do.

I sent this same picture on my original post to the seller. She mentioned that foggy, cracked look is probably from the previous adhesive of the first mirror? She suggested using rubbing alcohol on it before putting on the new mirror. (She stated this is something they tell every customer to do to help the new mirror attach better, not necessarily just for my situation). She said using rubbing alcohol wouldn't get rid of that cracked, foggy look though.

So my question is, should I try to remove that cracked, foggy look somehow before putting on the new mirror or will it not effect it any way to just leave it looking like that? If I should though, how do I go about doing it? She also mentioned that cracked, foggy look piece is referenced as the "backing plate". Is that correct?