Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S40 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s40-11/)
-   -   Please Help!!! Oil dip stick popping out... (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s40-11/please-help-oil-dip-stick-popping-out-67288/)

Mikenandez 06-29-2012 11:54 PM

Please Help!!! Oil dip stick popping out...

Hello my name is Michael and not only am I brand new to this forum but new to Volvo as well.

I just bought a 2001 S40 about 8 months ago and I was ignorant of the cost of parts and service for this vehicle so after putting in around 1200 dollars already I find myself with this problem.

I smell oil and noticed it is coming out of the dipstick and the dipstick keeps popping out about a half or quarter inch or so.

Can this be a sign that the engine is shot? Please give me some feedback that is easy to understand since I am no mechanic to begin with and this Volvo has me really stressed out and already spending more money than I can truly afford.

Thanks in advance for your help.

rspi 06-30-2012 05:27 AM

These cars have a PCV system that needs to be serviced every 5 years or 60,000 miles. This is usually neglected by most Volvo owners. If left unattended it will likely cause other problems like blown oil seals. There are several, easy to understand, DIY instructions out there that you can use to do the job yourself. If you don't have any tools, the tools and parts will likey cost around $200. If you have it done by a mechanic, you're looking at $600 - $900.

migbro 06-30-2012 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mikenandez (Post 320558)
Hello my name is Michael and not only am I brand new to this forum but new to Volvo as well......I just bought a 2001 S40 about 8 months ago and I was ignorant of the cost of parts and service for this vehicle so after putting in around 1200 dollars already I find myself with this problem.

I recently bought a 2000 V40. I'd be happy to help out. What did you spend the $1,200 on?

Originally Posted by Mikenandez (Post 320558)
I smell oil and noticed it is coming out of the dipstick and the dipstick keeps popping out about a half or quarter inch or so.....Can this be a sign that the engine is shot? Please give me some feedback that is easy to understand since I am no mechanic to begin with and this Volvo has me really stressed out and already spending more money than I can truly afford.

No, the engine is not shot, but this is a problem you should not ignore as it can quickly lead to worse problems like blown-out oil seals. You should get this taken care of soon. The problem is that the crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is blocked by oily debris. The fix is to replace the PCV system, which consists of an oil trap and some hoses. The parts are not too expensive but this job takes a fair amount of labor.

Where are you located?

Mikenandez 06-30-2012 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by migbro (Post 320597)
I recently bought a 2000 V40. I'd be happy to help out. What did you spend the $1,200 on?

No, the engine is not shot, but this is a problem you should not ignore as it can quickly lead to worse problems like blown-out oil seals. You should get this taken care of soon. The problem is that the crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is blocked by oily debris. The fix is to replace the PCV system, which consists of an oil trap and some hoses. The parts are not too expensive but this job takes a fair amount of labor.

Where are you located?

Thank you guys for the quick responses I really do appreciate the help.

I am located right outside of Fresno CA.

Mikenandez 07-01-2012 01:20 PM

The 1200 was spent on getting a temp sensor fuel pressure regulator transmission service and a oil change along with some re-wiring for driver side headlight. The price includes parts and labor.

migbro 07-01-2012 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mikenandez (Post 320789)

The 1200 was spent on getting a temp sensor fuel pressure regulator transmission service and a oil change along with some re-wiring for driver side headlight. The price includes parts and labor.

Ouch.

That's why I work on my own vehicle. About $200 of parts in that list.

Mikenandez 07-13-2012 12:39 PM

Ok so the Volvo is in the shop now for pcv service, they said it was possible that there aer bad rings and so wanted to inspect it first they said the rings were good and wanted to proceed with the pcv service.

One other question I have is can the clogged pcv system trigger the check engine light?

Again thanks in advance for any and all help I receive here it is highly appreciated.