Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Please Help!!! Oil dip stick popping out...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help!!! Oil dip stick popping out...

Hello my name is Michael and not only am I brand new to this forum but new to Volvo as well.

I just bought a 2001 S40 about 8 months ago and I was ignorant of the cost of parts and service for this vehicle so after putting in around 1200 dollars already I find myself with this problem.

I smell oil and noticed it is coming out of the dipstick and the dipstick keeps popping out about a half or quarter inch or so.

Can this be a sign that the engine is shot? Please give me some feedback that is easy to understand since I am no mechanic to begin with and this Volvo has me really stressed out and already spending more money than I can truly afford.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by rspi; 06-30-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:27 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

These cars have a PCV system that needs to be serviced every 5 years or 60,000 miles. This is usually neglected by most Volvo owners. If left unattended it will likely cause other problems like blown oil seals. There are several, easy to understand, DIY instructions out there that you can use to do the job yourself. If you don't have any tools, the tools and parts will likey cost around $200. If you have it done by a mechanic, you're looking at $600 - $900.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikenandez
Hello my name is Michael and not only am I brand new to this forum but new to Volvo as well......I just bought a 2001 S40 about 8 months ago and I was ignorant of the cost of parts and service for this vehicle so after putting in around 1200 dollars already I find myself with this problem.
I recently bought a 2000 V40. I'd be happy to help out. What did you spend the $1,200 on?

I smell oil and noticed it is coming out of the dipstick and the dipstick keeps popping out about a half or quarter inch or so.....Can this be a sign that the engine is shot? Please give me some feedback that is easy to understand since I am no mechanic to begin with and this Volvo has me really stressed out and already spending more money than I can truly afford.
No, the engine is not shot, but this is a problem you should not ignore as it can quickly lead to worse problems like blown-out oil seals. You should get this taken care of soon. The problem is that the crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is blocked by oily debris. The fix is to replace the PCV system, which consists of an oil trap and some hoses. The parts are not too expensive but this job takes a fair amount of labor.

Where are you located?

Old 06-30-2012, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by migbro
I recently bought a 2000 V40. I'd be happy to help out. What did you spend the $1,200 on?

No, the engine is not shot, but this is a problem you should not ignore as it can quickly lead to worse problems like blown-out oil seals. You should get this taken care of soon. The problem is that the crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is blocked by oily debris. The fix is to replace the PCV system, which consists of an oil trap and some hoses. The parts are not too expensive but this job takes a fair amount of labor.

Where are you located?
Thank you guys for the quick responses I really do appreciate the help.

I am located right outside of Fresno CA.

Last edited by Mikenandez; 07-01-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:20 PM

The 1200 was spent on getting a temp sensor fuel pressure regulator transmission service and a oil change along with some re-wiring for driver side headlight. The price includes parts and labor.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 1200 was spent on getting a temp sensor fuel pressure regulator transmission service and a oil change along with some re-wiring for driver side headlight. The price includes parts and labor.
Ouch.

That's why I work on my own vehicle. About $200 of parts in that list.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:39 PM

Ok so the Volvo is in the shop now for pcv service, they said it was possible that there aer bad rings and so wanted to inspect it first they said the rings were good and wanted to proceed with the pcv service.

One other question I have is can the clogged pcv system trigger the check engine light?

Again thanks in advance for any and all help I receive here it is highly appreciated.