Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

RPM surge when A/C is switched.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 09:31 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: RPM surge when A/C is switched.

Yes it is in the engine bay.
Look for Black pipes coming out of the firewall on the right side of the car.
If all else fails follow lines from the compressor.

Old 07-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

What other components is the AC compressor link to.Meaning electrically and mechanically to other parts other than AC systems.e.g it is link to throttle system or other somthing else.Trying to troubleshoot my car.

vollic

Old 07-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Not really much.

Recheck all the hoses and idle motor.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:25 AM

I've just sent my car to the dealer.they said is a faulty compressor becos the compressor clutch is turning intermitently drawing more power from the engine.Now i got a headache cos the problem still persist after changing and it is going to cost me a bomb.Now the car is still in the garage and they can't find the fault yet.

vollic

Old 07-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Sorry Man

Old 07-27-2006, 07:43 PM

Hi Guys,

The problem is solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!The dealer said that the compressor was part of contributing factor

Old 07-27-2006, 07:56 PM

Hi Guys,

Sorry continue from previous msg.Later the dealer did another verification by downloading some new software to the ECU and did some cleaning on the related connectors leading to this problem.
Thats it!!!It's working perfect!No more revving sympthoms.
But one thing i must say that Volvo mechanics here didn't do a good diagnostic.If they were to carry out this at the very first time,i would not need to waste the $$$$ doing and changing those unneccesary parts.DAMN!!!!

Anyway i was wondering by downloading or updating new software to the ECU can it solve this revving problem?Any opinion from you guys out there?

Voliic

Old 07-27-2006, 07:57 PM

Hi Guys,

Sorry continue from previous msg.Later the dealer did another verification by downloading some new software to the ECU and did some cleaning on the related connectors leading to this problem.
Thats it!!!It's working perfect!No more revving sympthoms.
But one thing i must say that Volvo mechanics here didn't do a good diagnostic.If they were to carry out this at the very first time,i would not need to waste the $$$$ doing and changing those unneccesary parts.DAMN!!!!

Anyway i was wondering by downloading or updating new software to the ECU can it solve this revving problem?Any opinion from you guys out there?

Voliic

Old 07-28-2006, 12:15 AM
Administrator

Yes the software could have fixed it by itself. But the connectors might have also been dirty.

It might have been a Combo of Both.

Old 07-28-2006, 04:51 AM

Well then happy driving.Till then.........

cheers

Vollic

Old 06-02-2007, 12:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

EDIT: I found the solutions to my problems - if you find this by a search and have the same problem go to this postfor how I got through it.

************************************************** ************************************************** *******

Hi all,

While this is an old thread it seemed like a relevant spot for my question (and tech has written in here and seems like he'd know the answer to my question).

So, I recently purchased a 99 Volvo V70 Turbo (2.5L) and I've discovered that the compressor is bad (shop diagnosis). After a $1300 quote, I decided to go for it myself. Right now, I have just about everything off - accumulator, compressor and piping from compressor to condenser and compressor to pressure switch. The only connections still attached are the two lines going into where the evaporator is. My guess is that the orifice tube (expansion valve) is located in one of these and based on earlier posts it seems like it's on the high side.

Can anyone verify this? Also, I have the spring-coupler tool or whatever it's called to disconnect the pipes but it is a real pain to get those apart. It took a couple of frustrating hours of fiddling before I got the spring-coupler connection on the accumulator to come off and now I'm fighting the evaporator connections. Do you have any tips for getting this to work (I'm worried I'm going to damage something around the evaporator the way it's stretching when I pull on the pipe)? Also friends (not mechanics in any way) have suggested spraying WD40 on it. My gut says that's a bad idea. Would WD40 help?

Thanks for any help you can provide - I'd really like to finish this off tomorrow (especially since next weekend we are planning on driving about 800 miles from Alabama to DC - not good a time for the a/c to be out).

Chris