Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

s40

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s40

we replaced cam seals on 2002 s40 with 1.9 because of oil leak, need help!enginestill leaks and wont start is there another seal we didnt see and i need diagram of timing marks on cam,any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 07-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I feel your pain. The leak is most likely the CVVT hub on the exhaust cam gear. The fix is either a new one ($160) or taking the CVVT hub apart and finding a seal that fits the plunger (the leaking part).

Also, did you remove the CVVT hub from the exhaust cam when you replaced the larger oil seals? If not then you align the marks on the cam gears with the notches on the plastic cam gear cover, then align the timing mark on the crank with the small timing mark on the block. The cam gears can move due to pressure from the valve springs so just be careful when replacing the timing belt. If the cams move simply move them back and try again. You can make a tool for holding the cams if you are ambitious. It uses the notches on the ends of the cams to hold them steady.

If you removed the CVVT hub then you are dealing with a slightly different problem. Don't remove the CVVT hub without carefully marking it's location and locking the exhaust cam in place. I didn't do it correctly and now I'm dealing with a P0017 trouble code.