Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

S40 Rear Windows roll down by themselves

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 08:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S40 Rear Windows roll down by themselves

Greetings... and Help!

I searched the forums and couldn't find this anywhere else, I hope this isn't a repeated post and I apologize if it is.

My 2005 S40 just started rolling the rear windows down by itself. When the car is running and the windows are up, they stay up. After parking the car and leaving it off, I come back to it and the rear windows (only the rear windows) are down. I know about the remote's feature to roll the windows down, I don't think this is the case -- the front windows stay up.

It's supposed to rain all week and I do not have the luxury of covered parking.

Has anyone ever heard of this before, and has anyone found a solution?

Old 08-03-2009, 07:48 PM

take the battery out of both remotes and see if it still does it.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:13 PM

I had the exact same thing happen in my 04.5. I messed with the door lock settings in the center console menu. It must be some sort of glitch because when I changed it from unlock all doors to unlock driver door first, the windows stopped rolling themselves down. It seemed to only happen to me when I would get out of the car, lock it, and wait about 5-10 minutes.

I have since restored my original settings and haven't had the problem again. Give it a shot and let me know how it goes.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:04 PM

I have the same issue on my '05 S40. Also, when I unlock the doors using the remote, my rear windows immediately roll down when I push unlock down for a split second. It doesn't matter whether or not the settings are set to unlock main door first or all locks open with remote. I'm taking it to service on Friday for an oil change and emission check (P0101 - my car has 41,000 miles). Hopefully the extended emission warranty covers it.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:29 PM

My 2009 S40 works as expected...first unlock takes care of driver's door, then holding lock down second time for a few seconds opens all windows. Sure hope it keeps working that way, I've read about this problem on a few forums (although it's hard to tell if it's the same person).

Old 12-24-2010, 01:17 PM

I have had the same problem and the first time it happened is when I left it in an open parking lot and it rained very heavily. The car was completely drenched from the inside. Since that time it has happened multiple times but happens randomly. It is quite frustrating.
Originally Posted by KS-S40-Owner
Greetings... and Help!

I searched the forums and couldn't find this anywhere else, I hope this isn't a repeated post and I apologize if it is.

My 2005 S40 just started rolling the rear windows down by itself. When the car is running and the windows are up, they stay up. After parking the car and leaving it off, I come back to it and the rear windows (only the rear windows) are down. I know about the remote's feature to roll the windows down, I don't think this is the case -- the front windows stay up.

It's supposed to rain all week and I do not have the luxury of covered parking.

Has anyone ever heard of this before, and has anyone found a solution?

Old 01-20-2011, 10:42 AM

Try replacing battery of your car keys if rear windows roll down by itself. It worked for my car, and saved me time and money!

Last edited by Tmorato; 01-20-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Default rear windows roll down by themselves

I just started having the same issue with my 05 S40. It initially started with the rear windows rolling down when I remote unlocked the doors. Now, the rear windows roll down sometime between 10 minutes and an hour after locking and leaving the car. I changed the console setting to unlock the driver's door first but it still happens. I tried using the rear window lock button on the drivers door. Still does it. Once the windows even went down when I took the keys out of the ignition. Anybody else have any ideas? I'll try putting in a new batter in the remote but I dont see how that help when the remote is with me a 1/4 mile away.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:30 PM

I took the car to the dealer for a "update." Luckily, I did not have to pay for the update since my check engine light was coming on unecessarily and the Emissions Warranty / Recall covered it. Otherwise, it would have costed me $110. I did have to pay for it initially since the dealer did not have record of the recall, but i faxed them the warranty letter and they wrote a check to me. Since then, the windows have not been malfunctioning. Only sometimes they get stuck going up when i want them to roll all the way up using the driver side switches.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:00 AM

Update--Its been a few days and no more issues. I did turn the car setting from 'unlock all doors' to 'unlock driver's first' and though initially it didnt seem like it helped, I cant say it didnt now. I've gone back to 'unlock all doors' and still no issues.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:55 PM

how to replace cabin air filter for a 2005 volvo s40, I know it's on the driver side, but can you give me tips to make it easier for me to do it? Thanks.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Default Update

Darn, it started happening again. Now when I'm waiting in the car and after a few minutes, I touch any button (ie changing the radio, adding treble, starting the car, unlocking doors, pushing the fob) the rear windows begin to roll down. The only thing that recently changed was the windshield water light went on . I wonder if that's the culprit.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:22 AM

I had two concurrent problems going on 1. windows rolling down by themselves and 2. front door lock not popping up. After I fixed problem no. 2 by replacing the lock motor problem 1 got fixed. My assumption is that the system gets messed up if some other problem exists. Check to see if there is no other unrelated electronic problem.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:18 PM

My windows rolled down during the night and a thief stole all the items in my trunk by gaining access through the rear seats. I'm taking my vehicle to San Diego Volvo today before the weekend storm and before I find a bum sleeping in my car trying to keep dry.

I got a computer update last September which seemed to fix it. I hope i don't get charged the $110 for the research! I'll let you know if my problem gets resolved, what is wrong, and how much i was billed.

BTW, this is becoming a pain. I hope they find the problem. I' getting tired of this happening. Also, the rear windows rolled down while the estimate was being written and while the keys were in the ignition.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:36 PM

UPDATE::

Okay, I contacted North America Volvo using the email form online. A company rep contacted me right away. He was very helpful and said NA Volvo will start a file on my car. I took it to the dealer and they found a fault in the Computer. They reset the computer by removing the power and then were then unable to replicate the issue. So, that seemed to fix it. They conducted a computer upgrade, complimentary due to it being a repeat issue and under direction from NA Volvo, and that seemed to fix it until...yesterday.

The same thing is happening, again!. Luckily, it has been hot and not raining like it was in March. So, I just emailed NA Volvo and awaiting instructions.

Did anyone else ever have this problem and the problem was fixed for good? My car is a 2005 (bought in Jan '05) and only has 45,000 miles. This problem has been going on intermittently for at least three years. Thanks for any responses.