Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

S40 Starting Problem

Old 03-30-2007, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S40 Starting Problem

I own a 2001 S40 with 90K miles on it. I bought it Certified Preowned in 2003 and have performed all scheduled recommended maintenance it since I owned it.

In August I noticed it was taking a longer than normal period of time to start. It would crank for 3 - 5 seconds and then start. Or, if I didn't let it crank for that long, turned the key back and tried to restart it, it would start right up. The CEL wasn't on and there were no other noticeable problems with car. I took it to the dealer anyhow, and was told if it started on the second try it was ok. That didn't sit right with me, but I let it go. The problem has gotten worse over the last couple of months. I started having trouble starting it almost every morning, and it was sometimes happening during the day in between stops. It was also taking longer and longer to start, to where I would sometimes think it wasn't going to start and that's where I'm at today. So far, I've had the battery replaced and the wire harnessed cleaned (it didn't start one morning but it wasn't related to the starting problem, it was the battery). Last week I had the temperature sensor replaced and were promised this would take care of our starting problem. That didn't fix it and in fact it made the problem worse. Monday I couldn't get it to start or stay started until about the 10th time. It would crank a long time, start and then die. I have it back at the mechanic and his first thought was that the software update didn't take and my car wasn't recognizing the new temp sensor. I guess that didn't do the trick because he still has the car today and he's checking the fuel pressure regulators now. I feel like I'm stuck in a game of 'guess and check' and am looking for some advice.

Also, after I had the battery replaced, the service light starting coming on intermittantly. The mechanic told us that the computer wasn't recognizing the dash cluster or something like that and he couldn't get the sevice light reset. He's still working on this problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:41 PM
Default RE: S40 Starting Problem

Ask them to check the timing belt for the slow start!

to reset "service required" light: 1) put ignition key in position II [al lights on] 2) press and hold for about 30 seconds the odometer reset button UNTIL light starts blinking. 3) let go of the button & turn off the key.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue with the dealer and they took the same steps in just guessing on what parts to change. My issue was actually the fuel pressue regulator which sounds like what your issue is as well. I complained to Volvo cust care since I spent so much moneyand they didnt resolve the issue that they refunded the money I spent on the Temp sensor and thermostat. Let me know what the resolution was...Im pretty sure like I said it is the fuel pressure regulator.

Good luck

Old 04-06-2007, 09:58 AM

Well the verdict is the fuel pressure regulator. I have it at an independant mechanic who specializes in Volvos and he kept it overnight to make sure it started up without incident this morning. I haven't heard from him yet, but I'm sure it will start just fine. So the big question is, did I really need the Temp Sensor and Thermostat and how do I prove it? The mechanic told me that the Temp Sensor was reading like it was 35 degrees colder than it really was outside and that was leading to my starting problems. Would other symptoms have shown up if my Temp Sensor was that off? Would my heat/ac have worked right, would the car have ever warmed up and wouldn't I have noticed that? Just looking for any info I can use when I go talk to him tonight. He's already said he would negotiate and as long as he covered his cost on the fuel pressure regulator (quoted at around $215) he would be happy. That may be the best I can do, but if I can prove I didn't need the Temp Sensor/Thermostat which cost me $400+ that would be a big help.

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2007, 04:57 AM

well some other symtoms from the temp sensor/thermostat couldve been idling problems, engine light on and off.
My big complaint to Volvo was that I brought it in to take care of a certain issue and it was not resolved. The parts they changed for me were unecessary in relation to the issue I had. That can be your argument to say you were not satisfied since they told you that it would correct the issue.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:20 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I realize this is an old subject and found it during a search for a starting problem I am having with my 2001 S40. As posted above, the car is taking longer to start than normal. I checked the fuel pressure and it seemed normal so did not investigate that area further. Now it seems I need to look into the FPR in more detail. Has anyone else had the longer than normal cranking issue? Was it also your FPR gone bad?

Any input is appreciated

The following users liked this post:
alnfong (09-26-2022)
Old 11-06-2007, 09:39 PM

Most likely it is your FPR. That is the main culprit in that issue.

alnfong (09-26-2022)
Old 11-14-2007, 10:38 AM

It was the FPR. When replacing it I found the vacuum line broken. Oh well, already spent the $100 so went ahead and replaced it. Car starts beautifully now.

alnfong (09-26-2022)
Old 12-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sound similar to my problem, now I have to push down on the gas peddle to get it started. It will crank over fine, just won't start unless i give it some gas - and it's a turbo!

Where is the Fuel Pressure Regulator located? Is this something that can be changed by a weekend mechanic?

thanks for the great forum.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:32 AM

It can easily be changed by anyone IMHO. Here is a picture of the front of the engine with the plastic covers removed. The FPR is bolted to the end of the fuel rail with one bolt. Disconnect the fuel line and the vacuum hose and it pulls straight out the end. The FPR is the black piece just below the red circle. Be sure to bleed off the fuel pressure first by pulling the fuel pump fuse and letting the engine run til it dies.
Name:  fpr.jpg
Views: 9131
Size:  73.3 KB

alnfong (09-26-2022)
Old 12-07-2007, 09:57 AM

you guys should also check your spark plugs!!!!!!!!

Old 12-07-2007, 11:16 AM

I took a look at this, this morning... decided to take it into a shop, since I'm not sure about bleeding the fuel line. Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer. The Volvo Repair Place - Pretty much all Volvo Trained Master Mechanics said the same thing - Since I was having problems starting the car after sitting for a while, and was able to get it started if i pressed down on the gas - it probably is the FPR.

I'll be having it replaced sometime soon. I'll write back if it was successful. thanks again.

alnfong (09-26-2022)
Old 12-17-2007, 11:31 PM
Default Where to get a FPR? (was RE: S40 Starting Problem)

Newbie here, but I think I already found the solution to my problem...

I just purchase for my daughter who's turning 16 soon a 2000 S40, 122k, one owner car, full maintenance history. Not a single ding, not a rip on the interior, handles pretty tight, great deal.

But... it started a couple of days ago having some problem cranking. It starts, it just need a few extra seconds of cranking to get going. I guess I'll need to change the Fuel Pressure Regulator and check the vacuum line.

Now, being a newbie... where can I buy a FPR online? What's the approx cost? (While I am at it, I might also change the sparkplugs and sparkplug wires, so recommendation on these would be great too).

Thanks.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:40 PM
Default RE: Where to get a FPR? (was RE: S40 Starting Problem)

Ok... I didn't realize that this was such a common problem that there was other threads with links where to get the right parts... oh well!

Thanks for looking :-)

Old 12-18-2007, 06:41 AM

Actually mine started about 2k miles after putting in brand new Volvo spark plugs (at $34 ouch). After replacing the FPR the car runs very well. I agree one should replace the plugs at 100k miles.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:10 PM

I boughta brand new FPR from the dealer.. about $115 hadn't put it in yet and the car has been starting normally... go figure. i'm keeping the part just in case, but perhaps all my checking wire connection, vacuum hoses and such did something. So maybe before purchasing new parts, check all of the vacuum hoses, wires, etc... to sse if eveything looks right.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:16 AM

Does anyone know if postponing the replacement of the FPR while having the starting problems may affect other damage or cause additional problems?

thanks.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Shouldn't cause any other problems other than wearing your starting motor out earlier. I would think this would be a concern only if you let it go on for a long time. Check FCP Groton and Partstrain to see if you can find a FPR cheaper than the dealer.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:23 AM

I found the price difference to be about what shipping costs.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:50 PM

make sure you guys are checking your batteries as well. If you buy spark plugs stick with the oems!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S40 Starting Problem