Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

S40 t5

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S40 t5

Hi need some help have a 05 s40 t5 got codes ecm 673c and 674c. Vehicle is misfiring check engine light rattle grinding noise from head, is it possible that the timming belt slipped a tooth
or could both vvt solenoids be at fault at the same time

Old 05-18-2022, 06:18 AM
Received 88 Likes on 86 Posts

When was your timing belt last changed? They are scheduled for every 100k miles or 10 years, whichever is first. It is possible that it could be the source of your issues. I wouldn't start the car until you get it looked at especially with the rattle grinding noise you stated. The timing belt is easy to get a look at by removing the spark plug cover. This will help you see what condition your belt is in but it will be hard to check the timing from here without removing the plastic cover over the timing area that is held in with 1 bolt in the center iirc.

That grinding and rattling noise can be your valves meeting your piston heads. I wouldn't suspect faulty VVT solenoids with all that noise going on.

Old 05-21-2022, 12:33 AM

Thank you the belt looks good the noise is not that loud comes and go around 1500rpm the intake sound is louder than before kind of sounds like I'm running no air cleaner I noticed a oil leak comming from exhaust vvt or camshaft seal going to check my timming today but can't get my crank pully off
Is the thread right handed or counterclock?

Last edited by Henlu; 05-21-2022 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-21-2022, 06:33 AM

I lined the crank marks up as best I could from the top then the cam timing about 3 tooth of how would the engine not hit valves

Old 05-21-2022, 11:47 AM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

I don't know how many teeth the cam sprockets can be off without valve damage.

Certainly, you want to 1) fix the oil leak (probably what caused your timing belt to slip) and 2) replace the timing belt, using the proper tools to hold the cam sprockets in the proper position.

Old 05-22-2022, 02:02 AM

Timming belt slipped 3 tooth I found that the auxiliary belt for aircon has torn, pieces went in to timing belt covers must have caused the slip I hope the valves are ok

Old 05-23-2022, 09:20 AM

The valves and piston heads may be inspected with a bore-scope. I also don't know how many teeth are the limit, but if you hear the ticking I would think you just met it.

Like habbyguy said, Fixing that oil leak would be just as important as fixing the timing issue. Even if it wasn't the root cause of the slip, it can certainly be the cause in the future.

Which Cam pulley is off? Intake, Exhaust, or both?

This is a job best left to a volvo shop imo. Once you get pricing of the repair, it would be up to you to decide where to go with it.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:47 PM

Both were out slipped on crank going to order parts an all seals and change my self agents charge 18k for belt without seals these cars sell from 30k by us

Old 05-24-2022, 12:25 PM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

Make sure you understand the entire process for changing a timing belt. It's not as simple on a Volvo as some (most) other cars.

And if your valves are damaged (from contacting the pistons) then you're going to have to pull the head and have it repaired (not a cheap or easy job). You might want to at least look into the cylinders by pulling the spark plugs and using a borescope (you can buy a cheap one that plugs into the microUSB cable on your phone), and look for evidence on the pistons of contacting the valves. If it's there, then you will want to research the best option (repair the head or replace it, or possibly replace the engine).

Old 05-24-2022, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by habbyguy
Make sure you understand the entire process for changing a timing belt. It's not as simple on a Volvo as some (most) other cars.

And if your valves are damaged (from contacting the pistons) then you're going to have to pull the head and have it repaired (not a cheap or easy job). You might want to at least look into the cylinders by pulling the spark plugs and using a borescope (you can buy a cheap one that plugs into the microUSB cable on your phone), and look for evidence on the pistons of contacting the valves. If it's there, then you will want to research the best option (repair the head or replace it, or possibly replace the engine).
100% agree