Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

S40 t5 Power System Failure - Service Urgent

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 02:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S40 t5 Power System Failure - Service Urgent

I recently had my battery die and my car break down while driving after receiving this warning light, after changing the battery and driving for a short time I received the warning light again, when the light comes on my power steering seems to go aswell. I’m wondering if it is my alternator or perhaps another issue to due with charging my battery? Any thoughts as to why this light is coming on? Would it be a bad decision to drive it a little to see if the light stays on throughout a new drive cycle?

Old 08-02-2021, 11:06 AM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by JackRegan
Any thoughts as to why this light is coming on? Would it be a bad decision to drive it a little to see if the light stays on throughout a new drive cycle?
The light comes on because the voltage in the battery is higher than the voltage coming from the alternator. More than likely than alternator is not recharging the battery because it's bad or there is a bad connection. Is there a belt still on it? Easy to test with a Voltmeter (you can find them for less than $10 on Amazon)

Fully charged battery voltage is ~12.4 volts. Engine running and alternator charging should be ~13.5 volts at the battery terminals. If it's not - the alternator is not charging. I would not drive the car any further than you want to break down out - When the battery goes dead again because the alternator is not charging the car will stop in that spot. The CEM will turn everything off it can trying to keep the engine running (radio, climate system, gauges, everything except the fuel and ignition systems) - but eventually the battery will be discharged.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:22 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes I agree but voltage should be 12.6 for a good battery 12,4 is just ok , if the alternator is not charging my advise is to spend the money and get a genuine Volvo one , lots of issues with recon/generic ones

Old 08-02-2021, 12:23 PM
Received 109 Likes on 105 Posts

This is why everyone should invest in a basic multimeter (just a few bucks from Harbor Freight, or even free if you wait for the right coupon). You don't have to be a rocket scientist to use one, and it will quickly and accurately help you diagnose a problem like this one (which sounds very, very much like a bad alternator).

I'm not quite as paranoid as richardkonrad ;-) about using a remanufactured alternator, particularly on a relatively high-mileage / low-value vehicle (my Volvos both qualified for those descriptions). Having a shiny new 250,000 mile alternator is a good thing, but if the car will only realistically be around for another 100,000 miles... you need to consider the options. FWIW, I'd much prefer a remanufactured OEM alternator over a brand new "off-brand" unit (most likely built in China with questionable engineering / parts / quality control). Looks like a reman from a quality supplier (ACDelco, Bosch) runs between $150-200 after core charge refund.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:22 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Everyone I know in RSA had a problem with replacing the alternator on the S40 2nd gen and eventually had to get the Volvo one , makes no sense to me as Volvo dont make alternators , perhaps the aftermarket is much better in other countries , Volvo must have some electronic component added which causes these issues?