Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

S40 Woes, Vida questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S40 Woes, Vida questions

Hello all. I've read alot of the information on these boards and so far its been very useful and helpful, thank you for all your help (even if you aren't aware you've done anything, thank you!)

I've got a 2001 S40, and I put a timing belt on it, and did some pretty extensive upper end work, all to get it back together with an immobilizer issue. It is a no start and no crank. If I ground the starter, the motor turns over. The immobilizer light is flashing on the dashboard. All fuses are good, all relays are good, good battery, (I've tested all of it...multiple times).

I have an active membership of VIDA, and my 3 day time is ticking, as i expected this fix to be easier than it is. The fault code is ECM-A9 Engine control module communication error with immobilizer. I have sent my immobilizer off to a trusted (for now) third party who had paired two new keys with it, and in the process had corrupted the immobilizer, rendering it a new module in the ECM's eyes (keys are still paired to it) --so my understanding is I need to virg inize the ECM, before it will pair with "new" modules which is a process I've read a few times can be done using purchased software through a vida subscription. I've tried a "ECM reload" pn 9139873, and immobilizer reload pn 9139881, both of which cannot be completed respectively for: "ECM reprogram requires NEW ECM unit, this one is already programmed" and unknown immobilizer fault (vida suggests testing the antennae ring, which ive done already a hundred times, and has correct specs). I belive the immobilizer fault is due to the ECM not communicating with immobilizer.

Please help. I know several people will tell me to take it to the dealer, but I truly believe there is a way around this situation.