Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

starting issues!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting issues!?!?

i recently purchased a 2002 volvo s40 2L petrol. I love the car, it looks great and is comfortable to drive. Over the few months i've had it there has been starting issues with it. It is similar to alot of the posts that i have read it in this category. It would start fine first time starting but if on short trip it would take longer to start as if it was choking and been starved of the right dosage of fuel. The car lay idle for a day or two and then it would'nt start atall even when cold. I tried and tried but no final kick. So i took it to a mechanic and he got it going again and said it was the fuel pump that had caused it and it will more than likely happen again so i would have to install a new pump when it does. So i decided to get a 2nd hand pump for it incase it happened. So i left it idle for a day over xmas and it stopped working again, so i decided to install the pump myself. I installed it quite easily and to my amazement the fuel gauge was working (as it wasn't working with the old pump in it) but the car still isn't starting. So i have done a power check and it is reading that there is no power going to the pump via the main socket that connects into the pump. I have checked the fuses in car and engine and all seem to be ok and i dont think that it could be faulty wiring as it was going and then broke and then going again and now broke again. Any ideas plz...