Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S40 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s40-11/)
-   -   Trunk Lid Won't Close (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s40-11/trunk-lid-wont-close-56331/)

mrenglish78 07-30-2011 06:09 PM

Trunk Lid Won't Close

Have a 2009 S40. The trunk lid will not close. If it is a fuse problem, don't know what fuse to replace. Need help. Thanks!!!

Counselor828 08-22-2011 12:39 PM

Can u give us some more info? Is the problem that the trunk lid (deck) will not fit into the lower part of the trunk frame (body work problem)? Is the problem that u can close the trunk but it will not latch (mechanical problem)? Is the problem that the trunk will latch but later become unlatched (not locked in place, maybe electrical problem)? Is the problem that the deck cannot belowered into positon and is stuck in the upright position (problem with trunk strut)? Add some facts for us, and then we can try and focus on the cause of your trunk problem.

rkroninger 11-28-2012 12:08 PM

same issue

Originally Posted by Counselor828 (Post 286138)
Can u give us some more info? Is the problem that the trunk lid (deck) will not fit into the lower part of the trunk frame (body work problem)? Is the problem that u can close the trunk but it will not latch (mechanical problem)? Is the problem that the trunk will latch but later become unlatched (not locked in place, maybe electrical problem)? Is the problem that the deck cannot belowered into positon and is stuck in the upright position (problem with trunk strut)? Add some facts for us, and then we can try and focus on the cause of your trunk problem.

I'm having the issue with the mechanical problem you are talking about. i can close the trunk but it won't stay latched. I tried locking the trunk with the key and it doesn't lock. Do you think it might be the actuator gone bad?

DeanY 02-25-2015 03:47 PM

S 40 trunk lock not latching

My 05 S40 had a broken piece in the lock and would sometimes open the lock and sometimes not. I ordered a new replacement lock and installed it. It worked once and now will not latch. I can try to physically push the latch closed and it will not hold closed. It is as if the emergency handle has been pulled and stayed pulled but this is not the case. I took the lock back off and still will not latch closed. Is there something electrically that I am missing? We think the car was broken into when in new York city a couple of weeks ago and have had problems with the trunk lock since. It was very cold and thought the lock might have broken from the bitter cold. any help would be appreciated. Do I need to reset the alarm system? The lid open warning light came on and stayed on even when the lock was locked and working.

DeanY 02-28-2015 04:06 PM

Found open wiring in harness

Checked the wiring harness on the S40 trunk taking it completely out and ringing out each wire. Found the black wire from the connector inside the top of the trunk lid to the lock connector not showing continuity. Thus a broken wire. Will replace the harness. Could have patched in another but thought I would put in new instead. Not real easy to get the connector loose in the trunk. Hope this solves all problems.

mf70 03-02-2015 08:23 AM

Thanks for the update. It helps all of us.

DeanY 03-04-2015 01:42 PM

Replaced the Trunk wire harness and all is fixed! Yea! It only took about 10 minutes to replace the harness. Harness comes with all the tie wraps and holders in place. Hardest part was taking out the existing wire holders with out a tool to do so. Hope this string helps others with the problem of the trunk lock not locking and the lid open dash warning light staying on.

CS2011 11-02-2017 10:34 AM

Thanks to this thread I was able to find the same problem. I also used a multimeter set to beep when a circuit is complete and tried all the pins and only 1 coming from inside the trunk (6 pins) to the latch mechanism inside the trunk lid (4 pins) wasn't connected. To double check that this was the issue I ran an external wire and sure enough the lid worked fine. Going to replace the harness using the Volvo part number 30724788. https://parts.volvocarsannapolis.com/p/Volvo__/Wiring-harness/42873333/30724788.html?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&orig in=pla

This was on a 2011 S40