Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Turbo + Performance Upgrade Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo + Performance Upgrade Help Needed

New member here with a 2002 S40 Turbo humbly seeking some wisdom so sorry for the long post.

I've been lurking on here for knowledge and off the bat some really nice members here especially GerBeGurGya and RS72 who really got me motivated and thinking of doing some performance upgrades, specifically the turbo and it's cooling all while trying to keep turbo lag at bay. Besides the below upgrades, I plan on a 3" downpipe, exhaust and tune.

Here are my thoughts... and I don't know much about turbos or Volvos so I really need some guidance.

TURBO UPGRADE: Full 14T Turbo vs 14T CHRA in 12T Housing
I see upgrading the stock 12T to the 14T is popular and understand there may be a little more turbo lag while doing so. I see they have a 14T CHRA that fits in the 12T housing. is the 14T CHRA better for spooling than a full 14T? Any other pros or cons either way?

COOLING THE TURBO: FMIC vs Water/Meth Injection Kit
I've read that a FMIC can cause more turbo lag because of the longer piping. So I was wondering if a water/meth injection kit would be a good option for cooling and spooling. I see a lot of these water/meth kits also work with the MAF/MAP sensor. Also I see on some kits you can control boost start injection point and boost full point.

INJECTORS: Stock vs 550cc
I've seen that stock injectors should be good for 14PSI which should net ~230HP.
I wouldn't mind upgrading to 550cc RC fuel injectors and even Warlboro Fuel Pump (if needed) if the extra hp gains to cost are worth it by nicely surpassing the ~230HP the stockers can provide.

ANY thoughts are welcomed and TRULY appreciated!

Last edited by bocajoe; 06-23-2020 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:49 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The 14T CHRA cartridge only will fit the 12T's exhaust side the compressor side is bigger.This leaves you with options like a full 14T turbo then you either keep the exhaust side or take it off from the 12T and put that on.BTW the 12T has a bigger exhaust opening after the impeller see pix.
You could have the old 12T sent out where a shop could fit a bigger compressor wheel all the way up to 19T on it leaving the hotside original.

The FMIC piping aint that much longer at all if any.The inlet to the cooler is mostly using the stock pipe extended some and the outlet going to the TB has to come up so about that much longer.Pretty much unnoticeable.I dont know anything about spraying W/M at all.
You dont need a huge IC either a small generic from eBay does it.

I believe its 25"x6"x2"

The following users liked this post:
bocajoe (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 09:45 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by GerBeGurGya
The 14T CHRA cartridge only will fit the 12T's exhaust side the compressor side is bigger.This leaves you with options like a full 14T turbo then you either keep the exhaust side or take it off from the 12T and put that on.BTW the 12T has a bigger exhaust opening after the impeller see pix.
You could have the old 12T sent out where a shop could fit a bigger compressor wheel all the way up to 19T on it leaving the hotside original.
I was hoping you would chime in on this one, thank you!!!!

I'm glad to hear that the FMIC should do the trick and I will definitely check that off on the list!

You know way too much on these turbos which makes my dumb self even more confused LOL, but I'm "TRYING" to follow and learn and I'm sure this thread will be beneficial to others coming up.

I did see where reusing the original 12T hot side was beneficial to keep the dual scroll. So maybe that will be one piece of the puzzle in concrete.

Knowing what you know, how would YOU build the turbo for ultimate HP & reduced turbo lag / quick spool? I'm not opposed to sending out the 12T to a shop and going "UP TO" 19T but I'm not sure where turbo lag plays in any of this so would love your guidance. I would kind of like the best of both worlds (HP & Quick Spool) if that exists.

Supporting mods to follow (FMIC, 3" downpipe, exhaust, injectors/fuel pump (if needed) and tune.

Last edited by bocajoe; 06-24-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is no best of both words when it comes to a single turbo.Bigger you go more lag you will get.The 19T conversion is said to be good for 300HP but that's the max on the tranny.I think there is someone in NY who did or at least started a manual tranny swap I dont know where hes at with that project.
Honestly try to get the FMIC done first with the exhaust and raise the boost to 16 on the 12T.You could always continuou from there.

The following users liked this post:
bocajoe (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by GerBeGurGya
Honestly try to get the FMIC done first with the exhaust and raise the boost to 16 on the 12T.You could always continuou from there.
Thank you for being the voice of reason. I think that is the PERFECT plan!