Volvo expires - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:21 AM

Default Volvo expires

" My Volvo died today and left me all alone, the finance company came by and reposesd my home, That's just a drop in the bucket compared to losing you, and I'm down to seeds and stems again too"
Seriously, I have little or no compression in cylinder #3 in my 2000 V40. What are my options(read cheapest)
Bill
Old 05-18-2017, 11:39 AM

Valve sticking open, damaged valve/valve seat, broken piston rings, leaking head gasket.

Best case scenario;- sticking valve lifter.
Worst case scenario;-the rest of the list.
Head gasket may seem trivial, but a head gasket does not blow for no reason, there's always something spooky that caused it.
Damaged valves/seats require a new or fixed head.
Broken or worn rings usually also require boring the cylinders.

A good second hand engine may be just as cheap as letting a workshop fix your engine.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:58 PM

+1 on the valve issues. if you can find an inspection cam and can see a burnt valve, then you may opt for replacing the head. Used heads can be found for about $300 and shop cost for the install should be about $1200. Downside is if you pop the head off and see cylinder damage, you now need to replace the block. If you can do the work yourself it may be worth doing - but if your car has a book value under $2000, your best bet may be to sell the car as is (say for $500) and buy a replacement for $2000. Dunno the cost to drop in a replacement engine but you can price out the long block using car-parts.com.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:16 PM

Default Sticky valve lifter

Should I try a gunkout(for turbos)for a stuck lifter before giving up on my engine?
Thanks for the responses!!!!
Old 05-19-2017, 11:27 AM

If you have an Autozone or similar by you, you may want to inquire if they rent a cylinder inspection camera. Have you done a full compression test (dry/wet, all four cylinders) or is the low/no compression an assumption?
Old 05-19-2017, 02:00 PM

Default compression teat

Yes, and no. I did the test without any spark plugs in, I assume this is the dry test. Cylinder 3 barely registered. The plug looked dry and a good color in all cylinders. I can drive the car with little or no difference in preformance except at idle. No noticeable change in the exhaust.
I am looking now for another v40 at around 2500. I have alot of new parts for my car that I may be able to change out.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:03 AM

Dry / wet compression test:

Wet Compression Test Results Explained