Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Whining Noise from Oil Tank - Pressure Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 02:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining Noise from Oil Tank - Pressure Issue?

I have an S40 T5 and it started making a loud whining noise from the engine as I was driving (side streets). The noise gets faster and more consistent when I accelerate, then stabilizes when I release the gas. As the whine has a faint ticking pattern in it, I figure it has to do with a moving part. The check engine light came on about 45 minutes later, but the temperature is fine and no other symptoms are apparent. I pulled the oil dipstick out about an inch when the car was running, and voila, no noise. But when I replaced the dipstick it began again. I then unscrewed the oil cap just enough to let air pressure out and the noise stopped again - I replaced the cap and the noise started again. I'm thinking this is a pressure issue having to do with some gasket down inside.... any knowledge?

Old 05-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Default Whining Noise from Oil Tank - Pressure Issue?

Im a rookie so please let me know if I am out of bounds, but I have had a whinning noise twice on my T5. Both times it was the oil trap on the PCV

Maybe that

Old 05-24-2010, 04:49 PM

Hey forum members....please help us.

I just had the same problem occur with my '06 s40 t5.
It is my daily driver.
Trying and hoping to avoid the stealership.

Could it be the pcv ??

Thank you.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Default Warrantied Part

Hey, great news - After some extensive research I found out that it was in fact my pcv valve, which is a dealer-only part. BUT, what I also found out was that this valve has a history of problems in our Volvos, so the manufacturer has issued an extended warranty on it. What I'm saying is that you need to call your local dealership and ask about the pcv extended warranty, they'll bring your car in for a couple hours, run a diagnostic, replace the valve and your car will be good as new. This is what I did and I didn't pay a dime! Plus they were extremely friendly and even provided a shuttle to my house so I didn't have to wait there.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:46 PM

That's funny.
I purchased the car from a Volvo dealer, brand new, late in 06.
Currently has approx. 28,000 miles.
Called the dealer this morning, and told them I may have a PCV problem.
I was told to bring it in and there would be a diagnostic fee to verify.
They would not quote a price via telephone, and certainly did not offer ANY info. or reassuance re. the part being covered for free (maybe).
The parts department does offer the needed parts for DIY'er.
Again, no prices via phone.
All my services have been done with this dealer. NO MORE !!!
WTF !!!!!????

BUT....
thanks very much for this info, and congrats on your positive success with the problem.
I will try different Volvo dealers and see what happens.

Decent European car, but typical poor American Dealership service.

Last edited by DennisNYS; 05-25-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by luckys1xte6n
I have an S40 T5 and it started making a loud whining noise from the engine as I was driving (side streets). The noise gets faster and more consistent when I accelerate, then stabilizes when I release the gas. As the whine has a faint ticking pattern in it, I figure it has to do with a moving part. The check engine light came on about 45 minutes later, but the temperature is fine and no other symptoms are apparent. I pulled the oil dipstick out about an inch when the car was running, and voila, no noise. But when I replaced the dipstick it began again. I then unscrewed the oil cap just enough to let air pressure out and the noise stopped again - I replaced the cap and the noise started again. I'm thinking this is a pressure issue having to do with some gasket down inside.... any knowledge?
I too had the same problem with my Volvo S40 and after reading your thread I decided to call a local Volvo dealership in Marietta, GA (Nalley Volvo) to see if my car qualified to have the repairs done free of charge. I started hearing the noise Saturday morning and by the time I made it home to my husband the check engine light was on. After speaking to the service department at Nalley Volvo I was told that the PCV valve which is a part of the oil filter housing trap assembly was covered under the extended warranty offered by Volvo up to 120,000 miles. It was a breeze and we were able to get the repairs done Saturday afternoon.

I forgot to mention that I was also told to be careful about who I take the car to for oil changes because often times many companies do not have the proper materials needed to do change the oil correctly (i.e. oil filters- which should be changed every time you take your car in to get an oil change). I remember taking my car in to a company and they mentioned that they don't have the oil filter needed for my car and that they would have to order it. Hmmm...maybe they did maybe they didn't but I will be taking my car in to the dealership from now on.

Last edited by ment03; 03-26-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Default had the same problem

VCP issue with my '07 S40 1.8 (97k). Called the dealer and explained the deal and mentioned what I learned on this forum. They checked the VIN and confirmed the part was covered under a "program". They ran the diag. and confirmed the issue. I got a rental car for the day and didn't need to pay a dime. Car is as good as new.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:05 PM
Default Whining Noise from Oil Tank

Can someone help me with the "program" number? Our 06 S40 T5 is in the shop now for this repair.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:28 PM

its the oil filter housing , warrenty covers it to 120k or under 10 years. i had mine just done at 80k miles. problem solved