Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

whining sound and loss of power.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whining sound and loss of power.

hi all

I am having a problem/s with my 2005 s40 T5.each time i go to across the border to another country and put fuel the car shows the engine check light and "Engine System Service Required " on dashboard .When i start the car its a problem it doesn't want to start its as if there is no fuel ,i have to try 5/6 times for it to start .When i go back to the country i work and put their fuel ,the engine light disappears and starting is not a problem

I am in my home country at the moment. A whining sound started as i was driving yesterday ,i could feel the car losing power so i pulled of the road and the car switched off on its on .the check engine light started flicking and as well as the oil .I checked the oil and poured a bit as it was a bit low ,tried starting the car it refused to start it was just cranking but not starting .I waited 15 minutes and tried the car it started .It kept cutting the engine each time i drove at less than 60km/hr .I also noticed something when i take out the oil stick or oil cap the whining sound dies .I also noticed that when i the engine cuts i have to wait a few minutes before starting the car for it to start .
I dont know what could be the problem as i have called three mechs and googled the problems .some are suggesting its compression ,some are saying its the PVC valve some are saying its the fuel pump .Please help if you have had similar problems ,i am trying to avoid wasting money by trial and error

Old 09-09-2018, 03:17 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

It sounds like you have multiple problems. Your starting and low power issue suggest a fuel pump. The noise that goes away when you open the oil cap or dipstick is definitely a plugged PCV system. Back pressure in the system can mess with the engine computer since more air volume is entering the engine than the system can account for.

As a final note, if you are guessing, pay for a professional diagnosis rather than use the "trial and error" method that you mention here.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tony , we put the car on a diagnostics machine and several codes come up relating to fuel pressure ,so i guess i have to replace the fuel pump .
On the plugged PCV system a mechanic suggested we remove and try and clean it ,will this work or i just have to buy a new one ?

Old 09-11-2018, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

Fuel pressure can be the pump or the pressure sensor. I'd think a wonky pressure sensor would throw a CEL code but you never know. You'd need to check to see if your model even has a fuel filter (some models simply have a screen at the pump). As to the PCV system, the blockage may not just be in the oil trap, it could be all the way into the block. On older models like the 850s, the standard PCV R+R includes "rodding out" the ports in the block (and as Tony has recommended, dropping the oil pan to inspect and clean). I'd suggest a similar approach as you want do take the do it once, do it right long view here. Most of the effort is in the labor to remove the intake manifold and plumbing to access the hoses and the trap. Once those parts are off, you should go the extra step to clean the lower end of the block as best you can - you'd get another 100-150K miles work of happy driving. Failing to do it right will show up as oil leaks, pushed out seals etc and you'd be back to redoing the PCV job.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:14 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Fuel Pressure Sensor caused my "reduced power" message.

With the engine running remove the oil dipstick and see if the noise calms down. This would be the clogged PCV system. The crankcase blow-by should be removed by the PCV system. When the PCV is clogged that air has to go somewhere.