Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

02 s60 can't figure out burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 s60 can't figure out burning oil

For context this is a highly modded 02 s60 2.4t with around 79k miles. The notable mods concerning this are my garrett gt3071r turbo snabb intercooler kit and intake.

The issue I'm having is im burning oil like crazy everytime I come to a stop (AFTER A PULL or harder than normal driving) I notice smoke and burnt oil smell. My friend awhile ago said I was smoking while doing the pull as well i don't notice it because it's not enough smoke to see in the rearview and the air is pushing the smell away. I found a lot of oil in my intake and intercooler piping when I was pulling everything apart for my manual swap so my first though was blow by so about 450 miles ago I installed a catch can and did a oil change drove it a bit still noticed smoke and burning oil smell checked the can nothing at all in there.

So my next thought turns to the turbo drain i had only been using the cut up stock drain with a hose slipped over it. Thought I might need a bigger one so I ordered a -10 ****** drain put everything back together just today did a little pull and still noticed the smell, I didn't see any smoke because it was a short drive home from my work place but the smell was still apparent when I came to a stop. Again it only does it when driving hard, no oil or smell when driving normally. For context I am using the stock location so there may be not enough vertical angle to drain fast enough as the the bigger turbo moved the drain on the block closer to the turbo. So now it's not as vertical as it was so that is a possibility.

so that leaves me here stuck on what to do. With the turbo being bought brand new I've only put about 15k miles on it I doubt it's turbo seals. It's possible it could be valve seals due to age 2002 but with only 79k miles on it, is that likely? I would also add that when I just rev it freely there is no oil smell or smoke only when it's under load. Also the turbo has an external waste gate with the dump out of the hood but I never notice smoke come out of that. I did check the pcv system with the glove test and it tested good. With doing an oil change about 450 miles ago and to be a little above half on the dip stick is very worrying to me thats a lot of oil in a few miles. For those wondering this car is tuned by gustav still has an advanced base map rn not done tuning yet, only running 12 psi rn. Looking forward to hearing any help!

Old 03-30-2021, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

there's a few things I can think of here that can be at fault a) worn valve seals b) PCV system / oil separator c) turbo seals d) rings. I used to own several BMW 2002s which were known for their puff of smoke when backing off after a hard pull - which was a standard test for worn/hardened valve seals. So what to do next? Try a dry/wet compression test and a leak down to check for any ring/piston wear. Consider replacing the oil separator (not sure if a glove test will tell you about a torn diaphram). Do nothing. after 20 years the valve seals can harden and to replace means pulling the head. You didn't mention your oil consumption but if you go say 2K or more w/o adding quart, I'd say that's reasonable for a 20 year old car.