Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

'02 s60 Turbo problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 s60 Turbo problems

Hello, I know nothing about cars - but have had major Check Engine issues with my car the past few months. I did research and found all the posts about the ETS/ETM recalls and sure enough my turbo is not covered under such, which I find ridiculous - thus, I've had to pay 2.5K for new ETM software, new MAF, etc....

Recently, my turbo has stopped working. Can anyone point out why? I also noticed that going uphill in the mountains (between 2.5 and 3RPMs) that the car surges like the little engine that could. I believe it's turbo related.

thanks for your help!

Old 11-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: '02 s60 Turbo problems

Don't know about the turbo problems. However, the ETM recall was limited to those vehicles that had the Magnetti-Marelli ETM, not the one made by Bosch. The only 02 S60's that had the M-M ETM were the normally aspirated. All the turbo models had the Bosch ETM

Old 11-18-2007, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My turbo does the same thing, and i think it's normal. Let me explain. I know a little bit about turbos and this is my first Volvo S60 2.4t AWD. I have read that it has a low pressure turbo. Now if you think of a regular turbo it needs high pressure to make it work. Now my theory is that the low pressure turbo works the same way but with less pressure. I drive 50 miles one way to work. And on one of the hills, if i put the gas pedal to the floor it does surge. And to me this is normal, but i could be wrong. It seems that when you get to much pressure on the low pressure turbos it has to back away and then build up again or something. My turbo seems to be good under 4k rpm. I barely put my food on the gas and bang i'm flying. But if i get up in speed and rpms, it surges.
Hope this helps.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the CEL on? Are there codes?

There is a boost pressure sensor that fails and will not allow the turbo to boost, but you should have a DTC set.

B

Old 05-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by madvolvo
My turbo does the same thing, and i think it's normal. Let me explain. I know a little bit about turbos and this is my first Volvo S60 2.4t AWD. I have read that it has a low pressure turbo. Now if you think of a regular turbo it needs high pressure to make it work. Now my theory is that the low pressure turbo works the same way but with less pressure. I drive 50 miles one way to work. And on one of the hills, if i put the gas pedal to the floor it does surge. And to me this is normal, but i could be wrong. It seems that when you get to much pressure on the low pressure turbos it has to back away and then build up again or something. My turbo seems to be good under 4k rpm. I barely put my food on the gas and bang i'm flying. But if i get up in speed and rpms, it surges.
Hope this helps.
sorry to say but your wrong, surging would more likely be due to fouled plugs, a clogged fuel filter, a vac. leak. the list goes on. the LPT's and HPT's are essentially the same, however the spring on the waste gate that vents the compressed air once its reached the designated pressure is much lighter, thus less boost. (there is a system of electronics that controls all of this but thats the basics)

your turbo compressor wheel might be jammed or the oil bearing in which the turbo spins might have failed.

i dont think the turbo is the issue here, the real issue is the CEL but what makes you feel that you need a new ECM? whats the car doing