Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2.5t Short Ram Intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 01:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5t Short Ram Intake

'04 2.5t, On any website you can only find actual "cold air intakes" for the R model, understandable.... For all other models but the R they make the short ram intake, which basically replaces the old airbox/filter, with a cone filter.... Since it is still right next to the engine (only blocked by a little metal shield) I am wondering if this is really worth the two hundred bucks... It will suck more air then the stock airbox/filter, but the air isn't gonna be all that much more cold... What are your guys' thoughts on the short rams? worth it or not? Thanks for your advice.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:44 AM
Default RE: 2.5t Short Ram Intake

Hi, I purchased one and it was a waste of time.
Messed up the ecu some what, car didn't seem to boost right.
i sold it after 2 weeks, i put in the original air box and put a k&n
panel filter in. it does the job just fine.
I found that the ram intake suffered from heat soak, turbos run hotter than NA motor's
don't waste your money, the stock air intake is very good just stick with it.

good luck
v70 2.4t

Old 07-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Default RE: 2.5t Short Ram Intake

So early birthday gift came yesterday.... Short ram intake for my car (http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/Mercha...Code=VL-S60-en) I installed it today and I can say, I believe it was worth putting on. My computer went funky for a few minutes trying to re-figure the new component. I don't know how much if at all there was any HP increase, but.... The throttle response is SUCH a difference. I definately recomend it. I was told that it can take up to half a gas tank or so before the ECU completely adjusts to the new component.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:45 PM

How long did your ECU get funky on you ? Did any DTCs come out and did the errors/messages need to be reset ?

Old 04-22-2009, 12:26 AM

Honestly, It didnt barely give me any problems. No codes, nothing like that. The only thing that happened was there was a fluctuation in RPM's for a couple of minutes. It wasn't any big deal, and if you weren't paying attention, you probably wouldn't even notice it. After installing there is a notice in responsiveness in the throttle. And it really beefs up the sound of the car. I've had it for a while now, and I'm glad I bought it.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:31 AM

Heard it on youtube and it got me over the fence. Placed the order and hopefully it comes in this weekend.

By the way, to remove the OEM air box, did you just slide it to the left to finally detach it or you "popped" the 2 tabs holding it.

Thanks.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:24 PM

If I remember correctly has three plugs that just pop off. It was fairly easy to take out, and then install. Just remember to save those plugs that come off the original airbox, cause that's how you secure the heatshield from the new kit.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With that intake, you will actually experience no actual performance gain. The perceived better throttle response is actually just from the fact that you can hear the intake open and take in more air. God's honest truth. Dyno tested, and time proven. A guy over on brickboard did it. Go do a search and be depressed. But it does sound cool.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would really love to see the thread but I went looking for it and couldnt find it.. any link?

K + N claims that you can get 14hp more by installing their intake on a s40.. so i would have to expect more on a 60 or 80, but then again, its just marketing figures.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:20 PM

I would have to believe you gain something. The original airbox is like taking a deep breathe with your hand over your mouth, installing the short ram would be like taking a breathe without your hand over your mouth. I dunno, it sounds badass, that's all that matters!!

Old 04-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Measure the surface area of a panel filter vs. the surface area of your cone filter, which ever is larger in area has the greater ability to flow air. Also a little bit about different filter types.

http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

Personally I prefer foam filters and cutting your stock air box on the side where cold air can reach it and just keeping up on the maintenance of a foam filter which is quite minimal

Old 04-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

1. it is true, your not gaining much if anything with a short ram intake. While the stock airbox maybe restrictive it is also fully shielded. The short ram intake isn't. Which leads to heat sock issues. Yes it will and does get heat soaked pretty badly.

You may gain 5-8 hp max if that.

2. A real cold air intake is the best option as it will be routed away from the engine bay where colder air forms. No cold air is forming in the engine bay where a short ram intake is sitting. Yes you have a stock pipe going from the grille area to the short ram intake same as the stock airbox. Still not enough.

I own a short ram intake from EST and while it is cool to hear the intake and all I know it gets heat soaked badly and I didn't much if anything other then sound and under hood appearances.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:39 PM

DO NOT use FOAM filters. They are known to disintegrate and the particles then get taken into the MAF and the engine and can cause issues that you don't want to happen.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:43 PM

If heat soak is such a problem, what can be done to solve the issue? I understand that the airbox is fully shielded, but I think that while moving, the heat soak problem would not be that bad..especially when you consider the way volvo engines are.

At least with the s80, the engine is very close to the airbox, but it also means that you dont have to run (and cant) much piping from the cone filter to the MAF, and as a result, less opportunity for heat soak than you will find in other cars where you will have longer piping. While moving, I also think that the heat soak effect really would not be relevant.. Of course all of this is theoretical until I put my custom built SRI on this summer, but i'll let you know. Considering doing a before and after dyno.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:01 PM

I know my Short Ram Intake gets pretty hot after driving. So heat soak is a big issue.

Solve the issue? Keep stock airbox and or create your own CAI and run the piping to the bottom of the car to the front bumper area. This way your away from the hot engine heat and you can gain some possibly cooler air.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I am still runing my cardboard heatsheild with high heat spray paint. I havent had time to fab up one out of fiberglass yet.

When you touch my cone filter, after I drive, it is cold, and the inside of the box is also cold, because I have a 3" induction hose from the front bumper, feeding my filter/box.

Spray youre boxes with high heat spray paint and make sure it is sealed, and heat soak is gone for good.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:19 PM

I did buy it, and I think most of the people who also did , knowing that there will be no significant gains in performance. Like what I said, it was the sound the pushed me over.

Anyway, IPD has a video of showing intake temps using SRI vs OEM box. This is for the 850 but the SRI design is pretty much the same as EST's. The intake proximity to the engine is pretty much the same also. I think on that video , the SRI setup is 3-5 degrees F hotter when travelling comapred to sealed box.

http://www.ipdusa.com/product.asp?st...hStartRecord=1

Old 04-23-2009, 10:49 PM

I heard the only way to cure heatsoak is a BIG intercooler. I do suffer from heatsoak with my short ram. But I've owned two other cars with turbos, and even with a true "cold air intake" it still suffered from heatsoak eventually. Only cure is a Bigger and better intercooler.... At least for my other cars.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:49 PM

TIPSP, would you reccomend spraying the intake piping as well? How much do you think that would help to negate heat soak? Also, how much you think itl cost to have someone fab up a nice fiberglass setup to protect the filter?

Old 04-24-2009, 12:05 AM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just installed All alumin. piping on my 745 and then I painted it, which made a difference.
The hard pipes from factory already have a protective coating, so no need to do those.

Not sure what someone would charge to make you a custom encloser.....

And yes, A bar and pate Intercooler is the best upgrade to the intake.

Quick Reply: 2.5t Short Ram Intake