Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2 Questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Questions.....

Hello,
I am a new registrar, but have been reading your posts since I bought this car for my wife last year. It is a 2002 S60 2.5T. We have had no problems with it until recently, now I make her drive my Audi until I can figure this out. I did some searching on your site but turned up nothing.
The main problem is a intermittent one that is potentially dangerous, that is why I parked it.
She has been complaining of a surging problem that she felt was coming from the transmission. Being an owner of numberous turbo cars, (and this being her first,) I wrote it off as her learning about lag.
Then, she called me saying the car was driving fine, then was stuck at 40 mph and wouldn't go any faster.
When she got it home, I drove it and everything worked as usual.
It then did it for me finally, and I had to eat some crow. I was on the freeway going 65, then it acted like the fuel cutoff and it slipped into a limp home mode and the throttle was empty over 40 mph. The RPM's would raise a little before trying to stall, but it wouldn't go over 40 mph. I turned the car off and restarted it. It then drove as normal for about five miles and did it again.
I attached my scanner when I got home and it showed a TPS Sensor error # 2127. I cleared it and it hasn't come back and I do not know if it is even related.
Then I tried to drive it again and it wouldn't go into reverse until I drove it forward a few feet on a level driveway.
I am starting to think I have a electronic control of the trans problem. The car has 70K on it. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

BTW, the other gremlin is a "position bulb failure" light on the dash. It is one of the 3 postion bulbs for running lights on drivers side. I replace it and as soon as the lights are turned on, it blows out. I traced the wiring back as far as I could without dismantling the interior, found no grounding. I think it is going to be a nightmare to figure out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, you guys seem to really know these cars!
Thanks again,
Tuck

Old 04-10-2007, 12:35 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 2 Questions.....

Greetings.

As for the gearbox, check on the proper fluid condition(should be clean & no burnt odor) & level. If ok, try getting codes from the transmission ECU & reset if there is any.

For the bulb, I hate to say but you probably do have a short circuit somewhere, if the bulb keeps burning up. I apologise if this sounds rude, as you probably have tried to find it already.

Wait till other S60 drivers reply (I'm an 850 driver and am not privy to S60), or until the top-dog of the forum comes. Unfortunately, the top-dog is unable to come to the forum at the moment, but I assume he would be back shortly.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 04-10-2007, 10:49 PM

I don't think your problem is transmission related.If I am not mistaken, TPS is throttle position sensor. Sounds like you are having ETM problems. There is a software upgrade manufacturer's recall for these. You might try that first. Here is some info:
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...5617&st=15

Old 04-16-2007, 10:54 PM

Take your S60 down to your dealer and make sure the recalls are done. If it continues to surge it could be a blown turbo control valve.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:40 AM

The position bulb failure on my S60 was actually the brake lights and not the running lights. The filiment was broken in one of my bulbs and would sometimes connect, hence the error disappearing occasionally. I replaced all 4 bulbs and have had no problems since.