Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2001 Volvo S60 Coolant/Heater problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014 | 02:04 PM
|
Exclamation 2001 Volvo S60 Coolant/Heater problems

Hello All! I'm Lark. I drive a 2001 Volvo S60 with around 190,000 miles. The last time I drove my car was around 4am in 0-10 degree weather. I was driving home from work and had about 10 miles to go when a warning light came on saying "Coolant low stop engine ASAP" along with another about the coolant levels. I also noticed my heater wasn't working and it's NEVER done that before. The fans were working but only cold air was coming out. I was freezing and didn't pull over immediately because I wasn't sure how to take care of the problem. My car died once I pulled onto my road and I coasted to my house. My dad checked my coolant level, it was low as well as a yellow "pudding like" texture. The warning low coolant lights still appear when I start the car. I'm not sure if it's safe to fill the coolant and carry on because of the weird color and texture of the coolant already there. I read a few forums that made me think oil may be leaking into the coolant reservoir causing the yellowish color? I am going to check my oil and see if their is anything leaking inside or outside of my car. I have been reading many forums involving these topics but haven't quite found the exact issues esp involving a 2001 S60 model. So far I have concluded that there may be a problem with the coolant reservoir, hoses near the reservoir, the heater, or the head gasket. I'm really hoping this isn't an expensive fix. :/ If you have any ideas of what my cars problem could be or how to fix the problem please let me know. Thank you SO much for your time to read this and help me out!
- Lark