Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2002 S60 AWD Turbo Idles and stalls

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 S60 AWD Turbo Idles and stalls

Volvo 2002 S60 AWD Turbo ~260k. Starts idles well, however, when accelerator depressed, engine stalls. Can, at times, very carefully (slowly) increase RPM's (2-2.5k) out of gear, when accelerator released and RPM's decrease down to stall.... Suspect fuel problem(s). Need help determining most probable causes, like fuel pump... Meanwhile, I pulled all the spark plugs, and all look good, cleaned and reset the 'coil' wire connectors, because I could, but no change..
Have access to gauges to check fuel pressure but my Haynes does not provide any detail. It only makes mention of the "fuel pressure release valve (arrowed) is located at the left-hand end of the fuel rail"
Are my symptoms indicative of a failed fuel pump? What tests can I do to be more sure?
Vehicle is my only means of transportation to/from work (~25 miles each way) and I need help... thanks in advance..

Old 10-01-2019, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

the pressure release valve is a shraeder valve - just like on the tires which you can hook up a fuel pressure gauge to measure your pressure. Check Youtube for some vids on the how to. You should be able to rent/borrow a guage from Autozone. I'd measure with the engine off (cold engine), start the car, measure at idle, then give some revs (say 2000) to see what the pressure does. This will give you some idea of what's up. Could be a pump issue, a pressure sensor, a pressure regulator (not sure what your model has) but idle issues can also be caused by the throttle body, MAF or an intake air leak. You may want to read up on symptoms for the Volvo ETM (electronic throttle mechanism) and the throttle position sensor. ETMs are known to have the contacts wear out and then its time to replace the contacts or get a rebuild. If your idle "hunts" (ie goes slow, then normal then fast etc) I'd suspect the ETM.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:06 PM

Thank you for the rapid response... I will check the items you recommend, that I can...

I forgot to mention that I have an ODBII reader (Actron Elite Auto Scanner CP9185) however, no error codes are recorded and the 'engine light' does not illuminate, even after the engine has completely stalled. Hopefully that in itself is meaningful...

I pulled the back seat and pump access plates to gain access to the fuel pump covers & wiring and since I do have a 'mechanics stethoscope' I was able to hear the pump ‘running’ (working alone, have to be fast) with the engine at idle. When the engine would eventually stall, the sound of the fuel pump would stop moments (maybe a second) AFTER the engine had stalled, giving me the impression that the problem may be further ‘up-the-line’ in the fuel pressure regulation, or the pump just isn’t producing enough pressure to start with. Would really like to find some definitive data on progressive test points though the system indicating ‘acceptable values’… j

Old 10-12-2019, 01:32 PM

Final resolution.
Repair ticket from repair shop states..." Electronic Engine Control Diagnostics/ Pinpoint tests... Work requested - Trace and repair the connection at the inner turbo cooler".

Sounds strange to me, but the car is running good as ever... jm