Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2002 S60 - how do I flush trans fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2002 S60 - how do I flush trans fluid

Our 02 S60 has reached over the 200,000 mark and I would like to do a trans fluid change. When backing up our rather steep driveway, to me I feel some juttering.

I went to the dealer just for a lark to ask about a fluid and filter change. The service guy said there is no filter in the S60, there is no drain plug and the only way to do it is with a flush machine.

Because of the possibility of getting more dirt into the trans valves, I am not a fan of flushing with a machine. The service manager thought I was crazy but I know on the Jag forums flushing has caused problems.

No drain plug? I hate when they do that?
No filter? That seems a bit odd.

The service guy said the S60 uses synthetic trans fluid.

I haven't checked out Aldata about the trans fluid type but I don't have a problem with syn trans fluid.

The car is so new to me that I haven't even pulled out the trans dip stick to look at the fluid. I hope this isn't one of those cars that doesn't even have a trans dip stick.

I could suck the trans fluid out the dipstick hole....maybe???

Old 10-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

It has a drain plug. There is plenty of info on the fluid. It must be JWS3309 compatible. You'll also want to have the fluid counters reset

Last edited by ES6T; 10-22-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just bought a S60 2003 model here in the UK. After reading the Haynes Manual I finally managed to find the Auto Transmission dipstick.

If you stand at the font of the car , look down on the right hand side just in front of the right hand edge of the radiator you should see a yellow dipstick, it is very low down and you have to work your arm around a rad hose to get to it. The dipstick also has a spring loaded clip that sits in a notch at the top of the dipstick to stop it jumping out.

The dipstick has markings for hot & cold transmission fluid so make sure you read off the correct scale when checking. The haynes manual also adivised to start engine, move transmission select into each gear and leave for at least 3 seconds before moving to the next followed by putting back in Park, leave engine running and carry out the dipstick check.

My vehicle has only done 67K Miles and fluid still looks red so I cannot advise on draining and refillinf i`m afraid.

Last edited by gramsey438; 11-12-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:37 AM

Last week I checked my level and they sure went out of their way to hide that dipstick. On a hot engine it is not fun to stick your arm down there.

Originally Posted by gramsey438
I have just bought a S60 2003 model here in the UK. After reading the Haynes Manual I finally managed to find the Auto Transmission dipstick.

If you stand at the font of the car , look down on the right hand side just in front of the right hand edge of the radiator you should see a yellow dipstick, it is very low down and you have to work your arm around a rad hose to get to it. The dipstick also has a spring loaded clip that sits in a notch at the top of the dipstick to stop it jumping out.

The dipstick has markings for hot & cold transmission fluid so make sure you read off the correct scale when checking. The haynes manual also adivised to start engine, move transmission select into each gear and leave for at least 3 seconds before moving to the next followed by putting back in Park, leave engine running and carry out the dipstick check.

My vehicle has only done 67K Miles and fluid still looks red so I cannot advise on draining and refillinf i`m afraid.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally agree, you also have to be mindfull of the rad fan in case that decides to kick in while you bury half your body in the engine bay.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:12 AM

I had that in mind as I was sticking half my body into the engine bay to check the fluid.

I guess it is still better than the cars that have no dip stick to check the trans fluid.

Originally Posted by gramsey438
Totally agree, you also have to be mindfull of the rad fan in case that decides to kick in while you bury half your body in the engine bay.