Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2006 Volvo S60R: Transmission Service Urgent

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Volvo S60R: Transmission Service Urgent

Hi there folks!

Tonight I just bought a 2006 Volvo S60R (6sp automatic). On the drive home from the dealer the transmission starts to slip then completely disengages and I got this error msg: Transmission Service Urgent.
I pull over. turn the car off. wait, then turn it back on (if all else fails reboot...cause I was far from home, its was 6:30pm..ugh I had to try something). When I restarted the car, the error msg was gone. I drove the car home ...gingerly of course and the transmission acts solid.

Since I picked up the car at dealer closing I could not reach the dealer when it happened. I will call him tomorrow. Can anyone tell me that I can just replace the tranny and I will be fine? I love the car and hope I didn't get shafted.

Here is some background

During the test drive I noticed the transmission shifted hard with a thump between gears- only during hard acceleration. The dealer said that's normal. While I didn't think it was, I new I was getting a warranty so I figured I'm covered regardless.

Thanks in advance for the help from the Volvo Gurus.

Anything I should look out for when I go back to the dealer?

Old 02-05-2013, 04:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Problem

I have the same model/year. It's now in the shop for a completely new transmission, courtesy of an extended warranty. I was told transmission problems are common in these cars. Mine had only 38,000 miles on it. Do not ignore that message or that sound. I know what you're talking about. It's like a loud bang. Mechanic said that's definitely not normal. This job would normally cost $5,700. You should have no problem getting the job approved by the warranty. If you do, ask for another evaluation. They send different evaluators. Also, have them check your front struts. Mine are leaking. Another common problem and another very expensive one.