Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2012 Volvo S60 P0089

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 12:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2012 Volvo S60 P0089

Hey Everyone,

Hoping to get some assistance from all you Volvo veterans. I recently bought 2012 Volvo S60. I got a prepurchase inspection and the only thing that came out as an issue (which the seller had mentioned is the check engine light sometimes randomly coming, turning off and then randomly coming back on. The mechanic who did the PPI I said it was OBD P0089.

The day of the private seller said he would take it to Volvo they confirmed this code and said it was the fuel pressure sensor fixed and that was that. Besides the light sometimes randomly coming on the car drives perfectly, there is no stalling to idling no lack of power. Anyway, a day or two after they changed the sensor it came back on. Now they are saying it could either be the fuel pump or the fuel pump module but they have no way of figuring it out they basically need to replace one to see if that solves it and if not go on to the next solution. Great for them but not so great for me, I don't have $1500 to shell out for two fixes on a car I just bought for 10K.

Anywho anyone have any suggestions, ideas or have the same issue? I just feel with the way the car is not behaving it makes more sense its the module rather than the fuel pump itself. I also can't seem to understand why it seems to pass testing sometimes and the check engine goes off and other times it doesn't and the check engine comes back on. There are tons of videos and info on how to change fuel pumps and fuel pump modules for older Volvos but nothing on my year and that also makes it more complicated as I would consider doing this myself if I could if I had the right direction.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:01 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

" Now they are saying it could either be the fuel pump or the fuel pump module but they have no way of figuring it out they basically need to replace one to see if that solves it and if not go on to the next solution. Great for them but not so great for me, I don't have $1500 to shell out for two fixes on a car I just bought for 10K."

This is the typical "throw parts at it until something sticks" approach of current so-called technicians and they want to charge you a $100 diagnostic fee to boot. This is certainly not unique to Volvo but they appear to be among the leading proponents. In my view, given prevailing labor rates and charges and particularly against a background of " Keep your (Brand) original. Use genuine (Brand) parts installed by (Brand) factory-trained mechanics" advertising, Dealerships should be obliged to fix the problem and eat the parts and installation costs of any unnecessary steps.

Unfortunately it appears that, in today's world, the only way to avoid these reprehensible "gotchas" is to dump a car as soon as it is out of warranty.

Old 10-21-2020, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same here

Same problem here mate. But my engine loses power for some seconds and then comes back to normal after. Already changed my fuel pump 3 months ago (60k). I have this problem every 30-40 days. Same fuel same gas station. Anyways, i think its some kind of eletronic bug. Couldnt find any more problem at the scanner than you did. Sorry for my english. Cheers from Brasil