Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2015 V60 T5 AWD - no volume, all audio-related functions non-responsive

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2015 V60 T5 AWD - no volume, all audio-related functions non-responsive

I purchased a 2015 V60 T5 AWD last month (replaced my 2011 C30 T5), and have been pretty happy with it. However, on Jan 18th, I encountered the same issue as reported in this thread. I thought I'd start a new thread since I have a different model vehicle. (Wiring diagram is likely different, so didn't want to look for/offer solutions for the wrong car.)

The volume stopped working (both the dial and steering wheel buttons), and all the audio related buttons on the console are unresponsive (Media, Tel, etc). The volume button shows Muted/paused when pushed, but can't adjust up or down, and is stuck in the low position (no sound). I can browse through the menus with the steering wheel controls, but no sound on any input. There is, however, an annoying tick that occurs every 10 seconds or so (it's not that loud thankfully, sounds like a speaker tick/glitch).

I've tried removing the breaker fuse for the infotainment and re-inserting, but that did nothing. I also removed and re-inserted fuse 16, but I couldn't grip 18 and 19 well enough to remove. I doubt it would have made a difference anyway. (In case you're wondering, I did try with the fuse removal tool, but then I dropped the tool behind the carpet, and its now gone forever!)

I disconnected my battery for a few minutes, but that didn't make a difference either.

Took my car into my mechanic and had it scanned with a Volvo scan tool - came back with this fault/error:
ICM U1A1587 : Incomplete MOST Ring Reported by IHU - Bus Signal / Message Failures - Missing message
The diagram showed the AUD and RDAR modules (within the MOST Ring) as red, but I'm told this doesn't necessarily mean those are the modules at fault.

We checked under the passenger seat and the Amplifier is getting power (light is on). Checked the connections, and did not find any corrosion.

Has anyone else experienced this before? I doubt a software update would do anything, as it just happened one morning as I was leaving for work.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:04 PM

I have the same car but not nearly the same problem, I just want to be able to sort the music on my flash drive. Very happy with this car. Replaces Mazda sport wagon (similar handling)

Old 11-06-2018, 08:40 PM

I had the same problem. The only solution that I found was to transfer the music back to a folder on your laptop or desktop, sort the music there and then transfer the music back to the flash drive. Make sure you reformat your flash drive before reloading the music.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:09 AM
Default Update: Fixed!

Just wanted to update this thread as my issue was resolved some months ago.

Took the car to the dealership and they ran the scan tests - couldn't find anything. I booked another appointment so they could go in and manually check components. It took a couple hours, and they found that it was a defective Sirius module in the MOST ring/bus. So, essentially the loop was being stopped there, and therefore it wouldn't access the other audio modules. Since I have no use, and never will, for Sirius radio, they replaced the module with a blank/dummy module so it would be bypassed. It cost me a few hours in labour and $15 for the part, but I was just thrilled to have audio back in my car!

Old 11-07-2018, 10:23 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have not experienced this problem but will take note and remember. My recently (Feb) purchased 2015.5 V60 came with a complimentary 3 month Sirius subscription. As the end of that period approached, I was deluged with mail notices and telephone calls asking me to subscribe. As this service is of no use to me, I ignored/declined, finally finding it necessary to be quite rude on the telephone to stop the badgering.

It is distressing to learn that Volvo fitted a module to accommodate this function that can, upon failure, impact other useful functions. I'll add this to the list of bad decisions, like eliminating the crankcase dipstick and substituting a bottle of goo and a pump for a spare tire. I am in the process of rectifying the latter, having obtained a spare (temp) and the tools and insert carrier.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:13 PM

The screen on our 2015 V60 locked up last year. I fiddled around with it and disconnected the battery. Eventually, it came back but I took it in anyway to document the issue. Fast forward to last month when it went totally blank. Absolutely nothing controlled by the screen worked. Fortunately, it was replaced under warranty with no questions at all.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:42 PM

Thank you for your reply, I had the same thought and disconnected the battery for an hour (my brother in the electronics field thought it might take an hour to drain all the electronics). All functions came back to life.

Old 09-11-2021, 08:13 PM

This just happened to me 2016 T5 S60. No sound and buttons unresponsive. I bought a orange Sirius module loop eliminator from amazon and installed it behind the rear seats.
Still nothing. Anyone else have any ideas. I am dying without my radio. I have a very long commute