Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

2017 S60 turbo P0106 code

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 S60 turbo P0106 code

Gents; My son has a 2017 S60 with the turbo 4 cylinder.. How in the heck do they get 300 horse power out of it? Anyway, his check engine light came on with a P0106 code. I'm a bit of a motorhead because I've kept my old Z28 going for years....nowhere near as complex as these new auto's though. Looks like there is an issue with the MAP sensor so I replaced it with a cheap knock off. However, after erasing the code, the check engine light came back on with the same code. My question is should I buy a OEM sensor and try again or should we take the auto to a shop and give them a blank check? Any one of u gents been down this road? thanks my friends.

Old 12-06-2021, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

First thing to look for is whether this model car has more than one MAP sensor. Secondly, double check the part number of the replacement. Easy way to do that is to use a dealer web store (my go to is tascaparts.com - partially because they are near by in Rhode Island and partially because they have great prices). You can then google by that part number to see if a Volvo friendly store like FCP Euro or IPD USA lists an OEM part that corresponds to the genuine volvo part. Does part# 31372487 ring a bell? Also with sensors you should check wiring and connectors to make sure the contacts are clean and there's no wire issues. You can also try cleaning and checking the tubing around where the MAP sensor inserts. See: https://knowhow.napaonline.com/guide...nsor-cleaning/ As background the MAP sensor is reading air pressure so if it gets dirty it may give a false reading. hopefully you didnt toss the old one. As far as "being down this road", I've never had a MAP sensor fail but I have had parts suppliers send the wrong or obsolete replacement part. I tend to stick with genuine and name brand replacements for the more sensitive parts (MAF sensors are particularly finicky and easy to source a close but wrong part).

Old 12-06-2021, 09:51 PM

I did get the impression, in my reading, there were two sensors but I figured the second sensor was the mass airflow sensor which I did find. If I understand u correctly, there is a possibility of two pressure sensors. I found one, which I replaced, in the front of the engine on some kind of an intercooler manifold......but changing it did not turn off the check engine light. Looks like the proper intake is in the back of the engine where a second MAP sensor might b located but is next to impossible to see fully. Interestingly, the manual describes the front sensor as being a "boost pressure sensor".and doesn't label it as a MAP. The OEM part number is 31432308. Mt6127, you are quite knowledgeable and I do appreciate your help because these turbo engines are quite complicated and ain't no simple Chevy 350! Thanks my friend.

Old 12-07-2021, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

lol, I started my car journey helping my dad rebuild the carb for a 283 in a 67 Impala. Who would have thought that car would be worth thousands now. Cars to me are an accumulated knowledge but the principles of what makes HP are all the same. Just like jetting and tweaking screw setting to get the optimal air/fuel mix via a carb, FI cars rely on sensors to measure temperature, air pressure, air flow, fuel volume to maintain that mix over the RPM range. Turbos and superchargers are simply air pumps that raises the intake air's pressure to force air into the pistons ( so the engine does not simply rely on the intake stroke to suck the air/fuel into the chamber). The FI systems are smart enough to measure air flow and pressure so they maintain the optimal air/fuel as the turbo spools up or down. You asked how such a small (displacement) engine can make so much horsepower, well the fact that the air pressure is doubled when the turbo is on boost, so your 2L (122 CI!) is gulping air/fuel at the same pace as a naturally aspirated engine double its size. Then you add multiple valves per cylinder, cams that change their timing as RPMs increase and the modern engine design eliminates the "pumping losses" common to traditional V8s. When you put a hot cam, headers, high rise manifold on your V8 you are effectively doing the same thing but the modern engine can create that power gain over a broader RPM range. Finally these cars use a direct injection design which uses very high fuel pressure to fully atomize the fuel for a much faster and more complete burn making the engines way more efficient. This is how you can get 250-300 HP from a 2L 4 cylinder that rivals a 6L V8.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:25 AM
Received 600 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by dallam1
his check engine light came on with a P0106 code.
A code does not mean a part is bad. A code means the signal from that part is outside normal parameters. For instance an air leak can cause a Map sensor code because the Map sensor signal is not agreeing with the O2 signals. Before replacing parts I would diagnose the problem. Perhaps a smoke test would be a reasonable step to find an air leak if none are obvious.

Old 12-08-2021, 03:00 PM

Impressed with the knowledge I'm receiving here and understand now how these small engines with such huge boost pressures keep from detonating itself to pieces..... sensors and computers but they are all over the engine. I would love to take this auto to a shop but what little money I have, the misses spends on her cats. That said, I think I've narrowed things down to what is needed. I was perplexed that replacing the MAP sensor after seeing the P0106 code did not do anything. Other than a recommended smoke test which I cannot do, replacing the "second" MAP sensor might do the trick. However, for the life of me, I cannot find where or even if there is a second sensor. According to what limited info I can find on the subject, a 2002 turbo 4 cylinder definitely has a second sensor. Fast forward to my son's 2017, things might have changed necessitating only one sensor.so I crawled under the car and looked for it but couldn't find anything. As a last resort, for $20 bucks, I can download a 2017 Volvo Mitchell manual for one month. I've used this service before and 20 bucks is better than $120 but the misses will be furious and the cats will go hungry however, our boy needs his Volvo! Thanks again for your help gents.

Old 12-08-2021, 03:12 PM
Received 600 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by dallam1
a 2002 turbo 4 cylinder definitely has a second sensor..
Yes the 99-04 s40s had two. But that was unusual for a Volvo at least until 2015. All the other Volvos only had one. I can't speak for the newer 2016+ 4 cyl engines.

Last edited by hoonk; 12-08-2021 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:52 PM

Thanks Hook....that helps. I'm beginning to believe there is only one MAP sensor on this car. Like u stated before throwing that code does not necessarily mean the part is bad. Might have to take this car to the shop after all but I'm going to keep at it....for awhile longer. Thanks again