Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

5-cylinder versus 4-cylinder turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5-cylinder versus 4-cylinder turbo

Hello all. This is my first time posting in this forum. I am hoping everyone can give me some advice. I know the majority of people will be in support of a Volvo, given the purpose of this forum. I am thinking about purchasing either a 2014 BMW 328i xDrive with a 4 cylinder turbocharged engine or a 2014 Volvo S60 with a 5 cylinder engine. When you get down to it, which is the better engine, and why? I know very little about cars, let alone engines. I just know I want an import car, and the ones I like and are within my budget are these two vehicles. Thanks in advance for any info and facts you can provide. I hope this isn't a duplicate, because I could not find a similar thread nor much through a Google search.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

Personally, I don't think there is a way to say one is better than the other. Each engine is designed with a performance curve in mind - whether its fuel efficiency, low end stump pullin' torque, high revving power etc. Some engines have an "over square" design (bigger bore/shorter stroke) others are long stroke which trades high RPM HP for low end torque as well so you'd need to compare the specs to get a clue as to the designer's intent. The obvious question is why 5 cylinder vs 4... (or why 4 vs 5). The advantage of 5 is that is one more than 4 and one less than 6... by that the design gets to maximize the displacement (ie 2.4L vs 2.0L) without an overly large bore, which aids in off boost torque and reduced lag. the down size of the 5 is it does have a natural harmonic balance - but that would really only be noticed at the extreme high end of the RPM range. Both engines use variable valve timing, direct injection, turbochargers, 4 valve heads etc so the last difference is how the ECU is programmed. Mainstream cars (ie not the R or M versions) look to provide smooth throttle tip in and low end responsiveness but I'd probably give the nod to the Volvo, where the mid to high RPMs are rewarded in the turbo 4. So, it really boils down to your driving style and personal preferences. As a note from personal experience, I own both a 2.3L T5 Volvo and a 2.0L T4 VW (similar to the BMW design).

Old 06-14-2017, 02:44 PM

I appreciate the reply. I know nothing about engines. I do know I want either a Volvo S60 or BMW 328i. I understand most of what you are saying, going back to me not knowing much about engines. As for driving style, I want a comfortable, smooth ride. I pamper my vehicles instead of pushing their limits. I want power when I need it, but my driving style is more of the laid back style instead of the high-performance kind. Or, in the words of my fiance, I drive like an old man instead of the kids with supped-up rice burners with fart cans.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by bjpinub
I appreciate the reply. I know nothing about engines. I do know I want either a Volvo S60 or BMW 328i. I understand most of what you are saying, going back to me not knowing much about engines. As for driving style, I want a comfortable, smooth ride. I pamper my vehicles instead of pushing their limits. I want power when I need it, but my driving style is more of the laid back style instead of the high-performance kind. Or, in the words of my fiance, I drive like an old man instead of the kids with supped-up rice burners with fart cans.
In that case, the engine should probably not be the deciding factor.

Which car is better suited to the passengers and cargo you will carry?

Which one makes you smile as you drive it?

Both engines are more than adequate for the moderate driver.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:19 PM

I agree about not basing my decision on the engine. However, I feel they both meet my needs and want the most reliable one.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:31 AM

OK, so you're looking for reliability information. There are probably a lot of different sources for reliability info. I participate in TrueDelta, which collects reports from actual owners.

See
https://www.truedelta.com/BMW-3-Series/reliability-13
and
https://www.truedelta.com/Volvo-S60/reliability-288

Based on the summary graphs, the Volvo is slightly more reliable. Now, this is for the whole vehicle, not just the engine.

But, if you drill down, they only have a small sample for the 2014 Volvo. I own the 2013, which they have enough samples for.

There are probably lots of other sources of reliability info, including Consumer Reports.

HTH

Old 06-17-2017, 02:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you planning on working on the car yourself or taking it to a mechanic for maintenance? If you're planning on working on the car yourself I would give the volvo the nod. BMWs are built for driver experience and handling at all cost including the packaging in the engine bay. That was the determining factor for me. Everything seems harder to get to on the BMW. The 5 cylinder is relatively easy to work on. If you won't be doing the maintenance then the costs will be about the same and it will be more important to find out which car has been better maintained and which one has better support in your area. Is there a shop around that gets gold stars for BMW work or one that knows Volvos like the back of their hand? If you're not doing the work then that would factor into my personal equation. Both cars need maintenance and if that was ignored then either could be a pile of misery and a money pit.

However, if you won't be spinning the wrenches and both have good support in your area then I would look at the handling on both cars. the Volvo leans more towards comfort and the BMW more towards toss-ability. If you plan on corner carving and like to feel the road through the wheel then take a harder look at the BMW. Comparing 2WD versions I would give the handling nod to the BMW. Switch that out to AWD versions and I personally preferred the Volvo. The volvo AWD just seemed a bit more seamless than the BMW. You didn't know it was there unless you had just taken the same road in a 2WD volvo then you can tell because the AWD car stays more composed without the front wheel drive push through the twisties.

If this is a car for commuting and grocery getting then look at the interior. Which is more comfortable? Which is more intuitive? Which has less details that bug you? Consider renting a version of each for the week and driving them in you day to day pattern. Paying some rental fees to help you pick the right one might not be the worst way to spend the money if you're truly on the fence.

Last edited by jerick1976; 06-17-2017 at 03:01 PM. Reason: another idea
Old 09-16-2017, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by bjpinub
I agree about not basing my decision on the engine. However, I feel they both meet my needs and want the most reliable one.
honestly a car is only as reliable in how you treat it. Keep the oil changed regular. When it's time to change a sensor or a plug/wires change them. If you plan on driving a far distance try to rent a vehicle. Use the best gas. The crappier the fuel the more deposits your engine gets in the fuel system. There are all different make of vehicles that are very reliable if there takin care of right. And not neglected.