Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

aftermarket stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 02:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default aftermarket stereo install

been doing some research on installing a double din aftermarket stereo, seeing some things about having problems with taking out the stock radio, such as this:

The radio is a module that communicates with other modules. Because of this, a software download will need to be done after installing an aftermarket radio to let the car know the stock radio is no longer present to prevent network problems.

is this true?

i have a 2001 s60 T5. the youtube videos with people installing them don't mention any of this, just to take off battery cable and put key into position 2 when you hook everything back up so airbags don't get messed up.

Old 04-11-2023, 03:28 PM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by coinheaven
take off battery cable and put key into position 2 when you hook everything back up so airbags don't get messed up.
The airbags "get messed up" (set a code) if you unplug the Climate module with the key turned on. The shift lever has to be moved to get the CCM out - and that's easiest with the battery connected so the shift lock works - At some point either disconnect the battery or make sure the key stays off whenever the CCM is unplugged.

I've never heard of this "position 2" old wife's tale and my shops have never had a problem simply reconnecting the battery cables with the key turned off. It would be the same thing as replacing a battery - we never "put the key in position 2" when installing a new battery.

The audio module in your car (AUM) is on a dead end, just like the Phone module if equipped - see diagram below. If it's unplugged it will be fine. It's a different story for the xc90 - that audio system will not work with the Audio module disconnected. The xc90 also uses a Most fiber optic bus for the infotainment system.

Note the CCM is in series with the SRS module. that's why if you unplug the CCM with the key on - a SRS code will be set.

Last edited by hoonk; 04-11-2023 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-11-2023, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by hoonk
The airbags "get messed up" (set a code) if you unplug the Climate module with the key turned on. The shift lever has to be moved to get the CCM out - and that's easiest with the battery connected so the shift lock works - At some point either disconnect the battery or make sure the key stays off whenever the CCM is unplugged.

I've never heard of this "position 2" old wife's tale and my shops have never had a problem simply reconnecting the battery cables with the key turned off. It would be the same thing as replacing a battery - we never "put the key in position 2" when installing a new battery.

The audio module in your car (AUM) is on a dead end, just like the Phone module if equipped - see diagram below. If it's unplugged it will be fine. It's a different story for the xc90 - that audio system will not work with the Audio module disconnected. The xc90 also uses a Most fiber optic bus for the infotainment system.

Note the CCM is in series with the SRS module. that's why if you unplug the CCM with the key on - a SRS code will be set.

Great good to know I can swap out that old radio! Thanks again for the great info lots of stuff out there I never know what to believe

Old 04-17-2023, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently replaced radio 2001 S60 and probably did have key on while temp module was removed.as the airbag warning and check engine lights are on.
What should I do to reset the airbag system?
thanks in advance

Old 04-18-2023, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Cartalk2
I recently replaced radio 2001 S60 and probably did have key on while temp module was removed.as the airbag warning and check engine lights are on.
What should I do to reset the airbag system?
thanks in advance
This scanner will reset the airbags:

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

The following users liked this post:
Cartalk2 (04-18-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 05:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you "coinheaven"