Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Is all this worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is all this worth it?

So I finally got the major things done on my car. Brakes, O2 sensor, registration and needless to say my back pocket is a bit empty as i just started working. Here's what needs to be done:
Two new tires
Front mounts and possibly struts
ATF change
and in 8,000 miles the timing belt

My question is how much should this all cost and is it worth keeping the car or getting something new. I just started working so my bankroll isn't that deep yet and i figure the reliability of a new car is best. I love my volvo but i dont want to throw down major cash if its just going to be a money pit.
My car
2002 S60 97,000miles

Old 02-17-2009, 07:38 AM

Well, I my self just got into a 97 850 GLT from a Honda Accord. After having the Volvo 3 months, I had to dump 2 grand into it to bring it up to speed maintenance wise (T-belt, water pump, radiator, temp sensor, brakes and rotors all the way around, front rigth axle, air filter,etc...). The car it self from 1-10 is a 9, but it seememd that maintenace wise it got a little behind. Now the car needs nothing! Sounds like your car needed some maintenance. Obviously with ANY car and especially with over 100k on the clock you will want to keep maintenance on time, but it sounds like yours just needed necessary stuff! Now, if your car starts to break down randomly every couple of weeks, then I would re-evaluate the car. Volvos have been know for their safety and dependability. I would just drive it and enjoy your car. A car is only worth what you put in it and if you feel you are getting your moneys worth plus enjoying it. Initially I dumped a lot of money into mine to bring it up to speed and all my friends thought I was nuts for putting tha amount of cash into something I had just bought, but I had been looking for an 850 for 3 years that was clean. To me it was WELL worth it and I enjoy the car, just like most on here. YES, I am broke as heck but I am driving down the road with a smile on my face becuse I LOVE my Volvo... Did you know this work needed to be done when you got the car?

Last edited by Somthngfrce; 02-17-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Thumbs up

I have a 2001 S60 (non turbo) with currently 99,880 miles on it. I bought it in April of 2007 with 96,000 miles on it. I have put a lot of money to make sure all the maintenance was up to date. All I can say is that the car runs smooth & doesn't give me any problems. As long as you keep up with the proper maintenance you should be happy with it. BUT, don't wait the 8000 miles to change the timing belt!!! I had changed mine the minute I bought the car & thank God I did.... after taking the old belt off, I took a look at it & i'm sure it would have broken pretty soon. So for peace of mind, change the timing belt...its better to spend a few dollars now than to go ahead & ruin your engine. I am left with one more thing to do to my car & that is to remove & add transmission fluid (Mobil 3309) a few times. I checked the tranny fluid & it looks brown, not black (original color is red). Usually if its black & smells burnt, it definitely needs to be done. I am going to do this myself as soon as the weather gets better here, so I can work outside. If you like Volvos like I do,,,, I own a S60 & S40...then I guess its worth it! Keep up with maintenance (you will save a lot of money if you can do some of the work yourself) & the car will last a long time....good luck

Old 02-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had mine for 9 months and it's been a money pit from day 1, from new CV boots, to the TB replacement, new brakes and rotors, a rebuilt turbo, and a few other things. Fortunately, my mechanic gave it the grand inspection about 2 weeks ago and he said everything looks to be fixed and I'm good to go. Fingers crossed.....