Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

aw55-51 death code tcm-002f

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aw55-51 death code tcm-002f

back in April i bought a nice 2007 2.5t s60 with 130k miles on it, with a transmission problem for a reasonable price.
the tranny runs flawlessly until car warms up then the fun begins flares in every up shift or downshift , bangs , harsh n to d . and most annoying shuddering in every gas press.
i changed the fluid by draining the tranny two times with 500 miles interval without noticeable success. ot to be honest a 5~10% improvement.
so i ordered a vida dice , to see what codes it through , it was tcm-002f after searching multiple volvo forums most guys says it's a death code.
but when i thought of its cold run amazing drive , and the fact i can't fund a new tranny soon , i decided to remove the valve body and inspect it .
OK here when i found that the VB has a significant contamination that blocks the proper working of the valves , the filters " tiny filters" are almost blocked by ferrous powder , the oil is still black after two drains with approx. 8 quarts.
so i cleaned throughout the VB "thanks to sonnax valve body diagrams " it would be impossible to gather it again without their diagrams. i managed to clean it nicely. did gibbsons method and a drain of course.
the car seemed light but the shifting was still horrible. i did a tcm adaptation . i got a flawless shifting in all gears except 2~3 up and down shift . btw the adaptation failed in this after 180 runs in adaptation all learned except 2~3.
after the adaptation most of my problems vanished except 2 which are 1. 2~3 up and downshift flare ,bang 2. if gas pressed aggressively the car seems to fool and can't decide wihch gear to downshift to so the rpm rises significantly befor a bang engagement .
searching in the forums . i think the 3 linear solenoids still contains ferrous particles that block them.
i will try to get a Rostra set and try them.
after 100 mile i noticed oil has become dirty again seems that this gearbox hasn't seen any oil change before , as i don't have any records !!!
i will change the oil again before changing the solenoids.
the most important thing that the death code didn't show again.
i a second opinion in oil flushing
shall i use Amsoil transmission flush with my next oil change to help?
i have drained an changed 27 quarts till now and it still has contamination
what shall i do next ??? shall i stop and save for a tranny or to get these solenoids and change oil again?
thanks

Old 01-03-2020, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

happy holidays for all.
so after changing the rostra solenoids and flushing another 13 quarts . the error vanished for 1k mile then it showed is ugly face again.
so i grabbed a used tranny with 62k on it according to seller .
just fitted it and it's way better then mine , in the nexr few weeks i will try to rebuild the transmission , and will open the pandora box to see if there's something damaged or what the hell was this problem.
thanks

Old 01-03-2020, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

not sure if this will help but our 2000 S40 started to have intermittant odd shifting - refusing to upshift at times etc. but no DTCs were presented. The fix was to clean all the connectors to the TCM to make sure the connections were good. So far no recurrance after 2 months.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:57 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mt6127
not sure if this will help but our 2000 S40 started to have intermittant odd shifting - refusing to upshift at times etc. but no DTCs were presented. The fix was to clean all the connectors to the TCM to make sure the connections were good. So far no recurrance after 2 months.
A very good point - connectors are the Achilles heel of any electronic system. In many cases replacement of an apparently malfunctioning component is, in reality, simply reestablishing connection by unplugging and replugging. (A lot of the "magic" of high end audio interconnects is not their touted exotic wire construction or insulation but the gold plated thus non-tarnishing connectors)