Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

battery doesn't know when its full and never stops charging

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 09:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default battery doesn't know when its full and never stops charging

Hi, I have a Volvo V60 T8 Recharge with the extended battery (18.8kw) When I connect to charge with either the standard cable directly into 220v house plug or through the Enel Juicebox the car charges fine. In about 5.5 hours (on the juicebox) there is substantial charge in the battery. (looks full and shows like 82 km range) But,,,the charging doesn't stop. It seems the car is unable to detect its full. It continues to charge albeit at a very low voltage input but I've let it run for up to 16 hours and the LED does not stop blinking and glow solid. It continues to blink and the App shows a continuous charge input. I worry it might be damaging the battery so I manually stop the charge. It appears "full" after 5.5 hours so why doesn't the car recognize this and automatically stop the charging and glow solid green as stated in the instructions? The App shows the charge curve at a very high level for about 5.5 hours and then drops steeply to a very low level and then stays there for at least another 10-12 hours of slow input and maybe longer. I suspect if I let it continue it would never simply stop the charge. So I end the charge myself. Shouldn't the car determine its time to stop charging? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks,

Old 09-27-2022, 07:00 AM
Received 88 Likes on 86 Posts

In my inexperience, you car is always using some of the electronics. That is why your car will continue to charge at a very low rate to maintain a practically full charge. This is my uneducated guess.

Old 09-28-2022, 02:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still charging at 100%

This support article on the Volvo website might explain it: https://www.volvocars.com/en-th/supp...ot-stop-at-100

Old 10-06-2022, 12:43 AM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Musedave
This support article on the Volvo website might explain it: https://www.volvocars.com/en-th/supp...ot-stop-at-100
Hi Thanks for the reply. This is a bit different but still helpful. On the APP for the wall charger (Enel Juice Box) it will show the time to "finish charging". Lets say it says "finish at 12:10". When the battery fills at the rate of 3.6 kwh it will take about 5.5 hours. However, as with most charging systems it slows down for the last 10km (10%) or so. The charge wattage becomes very low and the "finish at 12:10" gets recalculated to maybe "finish at 13:30" and an hour later it will say "finish at 14:45" and an hour later it will say "finish at 15:50" etc etc etc . It just kicks the can down the road with very little kilometers being added as the charge wattage becomes so low. It will never reach what it thinks is "finished". So what its calculating in terms of time is never reached. My friends XC90 indeed stops as projected by the charger. It says "finished" and stops charging and the LED on the wall unit goes solid and stops blinking as stated in the manual. Volvo service shrugs their shoulders. I realize the charge input will slow down as the battery gets full but at some point it should determine the charge is sufficient and stop. That should be around 5.5 hours but it just keeps trying well into 11-12 hours. I stop it manually as I don't want to potentially damage the battery. Oh well I guess I just manually manage the charging and will never reach the full 90km as in the specifications. I give up at around 84 km after 12 hours. I now stop at 5.5 hours regardless of the level of top charge. This should be an automatic operation. Sigh,,,,

Old 10-06-2022, 09:07 AM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SunriseJack
Hi Thanks for the reply. This is a bit different but still helpful. On the APP for the wall charger (Enel Juice Box) it will show the time to "finish charging". Lets say it says "finish at 12:10". When the battery fills at the rate of 3.6 kwh it will take about 5.5 hours. However, as with most charging systems it slows down for the last 10km (10%) or so. The charge wattage becomes very low and the "finish at 12:10" gets recalculated to maybe "finish at 13:30" and an hour later it will say "finish at 14:45" and an hour later it will say "finish at 15:50" etc etc etc . It just kicks the can down the road with very little kilometers being added as the charge wattage becomes so low. It will never reach what it thinks is "finished". So what its calculating in terms of time is never reached. My friends XC90 indeed stops as projected by the charger. It says "finished" and stops charging and the LED on the wall unit goes solid and stops blinking as stated in the manual. Volvo service shrugs their shoulders. I realize the charge input will slow down as the battery gets full but at some point it should determine the charge is sufficient and stop. That should be around 5.5 hours but it just keeps trying well into 11-12 hours. I stop it manually as I don't want to potentially damage the battery. Oh well I guess I just manually manage the charging and will never reach the full 90km as in the specifications. I give up at around 84 km after 12 hours. I now stop at 5.5 hours regardless of the level of top charge. This should be an automatic operation. Sigh,,,,
I'm not familiar with this topic, owning an ICE Volov car, but I'm interested in understanding how the new Volvo's work. Just so I'm clear. Your car's system does not have the ability for the owner to state the level of charge you wish it to go to, and then have the charging system automatically stop at that point? Even my Samsung 10+ phone, which is 3+ years old, can do this.

Old 11-16-2022, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery never stop charging

Originally Posted by SunriseJack
Hi, I have a Volvo V60 T8 Recharge with the extended battery (18.8kw) When I connect to charge with either the standard cable directly into 220v house plug or through the Enel Juicebox the car charges fine. In about 5.5 hours (on the juicebox) there is substantial charge in the battery. (looks full and shows like 82 km range) But,,,the charging doesn't stop. It seems the car is unable to detect its full. It continues to charge albeit at a very low voltage input but I've let it run for up to 16 hours and the LED does not stop blinking and glow solid. It continues to blink and the App shows a continuous charge input. I worry it might be damaging the battery so I manually stop the charge. It appears "full" after 5.5 hours so why doesn't the car recognize this and automatically stop the charging and glow solid green as stated in the instructions? The App shows the charge curve at a very high level for about 5.5 hours and then drops steeply to a very low level and then stays there for at least another 10-12 hours of slow input and maybe longer. I suspect if I let it continue it would never simply stop the charge. So I end the charge myself. Shouldn't the car determine its time to stop charging? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks,
HI I have the same issue with xc60 2023, do you have the solution?

Old 11-17-2022, 12:56 PM

Hi, My local Volvo dealer is also aware of this issue as they have numerous customers with the same complaint. They looked at my car and weren't able to discover any real solution. Their suggestion is that the "next software update" should address this condition. However, they do not know when this next software update will be rolled out. But they are confident (but not 100% certain) the "fix" will be part of that updated software. In short,,,,no solution immediately at hand that I'm aware. In the meantime I monitor the charge status and manually stop the charging when the range is usually around 80-85 kilometers. With my Enel home charge box thats around 6 hours of charging based on a limited charge input of 3.6 Kw. The newer models are supposed to have 6.6 kw charge level input. If you look at the Enel Juice Box App you can see the ramp downward curve of the voltage being received and at some point numerous "glitches or or rapid spikes" can be seen which it seems at that point the system is looking to stop the charge session but it never accomplishes that. The charge input at that point is very low and to add just a few kilometers takes very long time. If I leave the car plugged in and allow charge times of 12-13 hours it will reach charge levels of over 90 km which exceeds the spec. But I'm uncomfortable with the battery receiving a constant input over such a long period of time. Further I have a full house solar system with house batteries. I prefer to charge the car during the greatest sun output (9am to 3:30pm) so that my energy utilized is on my renewable system. A full charge in my case should occur around 5.5 hours. But thats not the case so I end up either drawing from the grid or my house batteries just to finish up the car charge. Thats about all I know.

The following users liked this post:
ncosme@hotmail.com (11-17-2022)