Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Buying a Used 2002 S60 - Checklist

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Used 2002 S60 - Checklist

Hi Guys,

I'm contemplating about buying a used 2002 S60 2.4T from another individual. It's around 95k miles.

What are some common things to check for this specific model? (Assuming the seller did the minimum amount of maintenance required.)

The timing belt probably needs to be changed and it probably needs new transmission fluid.

Do I need to worry about things such as break boosters, ETM cleaning, control arm bushings, loose wheel bearings?

How much should I expect an inspection/fix by a mechanic cost? I'm expecting quite a bit of driving in the next 2 years and this car needs to last - probably 20k/yr. Should I just get a RAV4?

Old 07-31-2010, 08:37 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

All used cars have maintenance risk. You can search the forum to see common problems. Yes most front wheel drive cars have control arm issues. You may want to hire an independant car inspector, they will show you the good and bad. I hired Lemon Protectors when I purchased a car from NYC. You can also check consumer reports for common problems with older models.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i’ve got an ’02 S60 2.4L n/a. ive had it for awhile and have had quite a bit of experience with their issues. you’ll want to watch out for oil issues because they are common among the older s60’s. mine has some minor issues with leaks and whatnot, but a minor oil problem can turn into a dead motor. also, when/if you test the car out before you buy it, make sure the transmission feels smooth and responsive, with no kicking or jumping (if the car is an automatic). if kicking does occur, it could just need a transmission fluid change, or it could be worse. its hard to tell sometimes since the transmission internals arent visible without taking the whole thing apart. i have recently had some tranny issues and have found them to be a somewhat common occurance with these cars as the automatic s60s get older. as for the wheel bearings and arm bushings, those should be taken care of, probably asap. the s60 is a heavy car, despite the model. therefore, if there is a suspension problem, then the extreme weight of the car makes the problem worse and worse. this given, a loose wheel is definitely not good. if i’m not terribly mistaken, i believe the bushings for the suspension are similar to the cartilage in between your bones. they reduce vibration, caused by driving on a hard surface, to the engine. having something wrong with your bushings, in regards to its effect on the engine, would be similar to what it must feel like to a jack-in-the-box when you shake the box when he’s still inside the box.

the heavy weight of the car considered, brakes and there components are always important for an s60 and should be checked/fixed regularly.

an inspection, depending on where you go, can range from $60-120. obviously, with the higher price, you get a more thorough inspection. some places also offer a free oil change or tire rotation with the purchase of a high end inspection.

suspension parts, most brake parts, and bearings arent too expensive unless there is a serious problem. with volvos, simple malfunctions or problems are cheap. the BIG problems are the relatively expensive ones, as compared to other brands of cars. a Volvo is absolutely the way to go!