Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Can't find source of horrible smell

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't find source of horrible smell

I have a 2011 Volvo S60 that reeks horribly. Had it detailed. Rugs shampooed. Leather cleaned. Can't see anything anywhere. It looks like there may be a place for a critter to crawl under the car and die but I can't see in there. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 09-02-2013, 06:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are your carpets and felt underlay dry?
If wet or damp may be a blocked sunroof drain hose behind 'A' pillar moulding.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Has the cabin/pollen/dust filter ever been changed?

Old 09-03-2013, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by ssicarman
Has the cabin/pollen/dust filter ever been changed?
No it hasn't. Would that be common maintenance within the first 30,000 miles? Is that a common source of unbearably horrific smells? It smells like a possum died somewhere under the car and I can't find him!

Old 09-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Default Smell

I would change the cabin filter as a matter of course but you may have an animal somewhere. Look under the hood in ever corner and crevice you can find. Rats and mice are notorious for building nests in engine compartments. Were he to have died in there, it could be the source of your odor. They usually carry nesting material in there with them so you may see grass, shredded paper or even felt from the hood liner stuffed away in secret little spot. Years ago I opened the hood of a brand new Lexus to check my oil before going to work and a rather large rodent made me spill my coffee! The guy at the garage says it happens more than you would think.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:37 AM

Well, I'm going to Volvo tomorrow and they are confident they will find the source. I'll report back.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:06 AM

Volvo couldn't figure it out either.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds gruesome and unlikely but have you run over any small animal on the road at some point. LOL.
Perhaps pieces could be stuck somewhere under the car.
Maybe a waterblast beneath might help??
Checked inside the door cavities or up inside the seats, front and rear, boot spare wheel well etc.

Old 03-11-2021, 04:47 PM
Default super stinker s-60 makes me gag

Reviving an old thread, same problem? Lot's of threads here stating smells like crayons, dead animal, etc. but no conclusions.
I have 2 two year old 2018 S-60 t5 base model (momentum) that has never gotten rid of the "new smell" that the dealer said would go away. It's a dead animal type of smell that was very present when new (bought in winter) and thought to be the leather seats, but is now intermintent. I didn't drive it for several weeks during the Covid lockdown (summer), and the smell went away. The more I drive it, the more often, but not always, I will smell it. The smell is not a musty a/c unit turning on that hasn't been used in a while type of smell, but rather a dead rodent. Definetly not crayons either. When the air is put to recirc, it is more noticeable. I put my hand under the carpet foam changing the cabin air filter (in winter) and there was an oily residue that was the smell. I couldn't get rid of the smell with multiple hand washes! Several months later (summer) for my 20k service, I asked the tech to smell that area, and the smell was gone. Now it's back in the same area. I think it's moisture or ? under the carpet in the footwell areas and the question is how is it getting there? Is it from driving in wet weather, or the a/c unit? The sunroof drain was checked ok. Carpets aren't wet. We have a 2017 XC-60 and it's never had the smell... any thoughts, please!

Old 03-13-2021, 06:11 PM

Well, I think I may have found the culprit. I pulled the carpet and all the foam in the passenger footwell stunk like a ripe rodent carcass. There is a black hose that is coming down from the dash above the silver heater lines that was kinked as it was making an upward turn into a drain plug in the footwell. I removed the hose and it was dry, but really smelly. I turned the hose connecter/drain upward and reconected the drain line such that it had a straight run. Drove several hours today and no smell! If this turns out to be the cure, I'm pretty pissed as I've had three different dealers and a call to Volvo trying to get rid of the smell; each one stated, we don't smell anything... or, that's what they all smell like....