Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Car keeps telling me trunk is open and it's not…

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car keeps telling me trunk is open and it's not…

Hey there. New one for you.

It's a 2005 S60 T5.

The "TRUNK OPEN" message keeps coming on in the text window. So I stop, go back and check, and sure enough it's closed tight as could be. The little electronic latch handle thing works great, as does the key fob trunk function. The valet feature is not activated. I took the little furry cover off the bottom of the trunk lid and made sure no wires were cut and all connections were tight, and everything is good to go under there. The lock works great, no wiggles in any hardware.

Anyone have any ideas? I think it's been setting off my alarm at night and my neighbors have might just had enough…

Old 06-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Try latching the latch using a screw driver or something like that. Then it will still be open.If the message goes away then the catch on the body side might have moved down a hair and is not letting the micro switch close all the way.
But if it does not go off the latch itself might need to be replaced the micro switch went bad.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:05 PM

Thanks, Tech! Glad you're back! You deserve a rest, my friend.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:52 PM

Oh boy, I've done it now.

The electric components of the trunk stopped working. The keyless won't unlatch the trunk, the little electric button by the license plate lights doesn't work. "Okay," I think. So I start using the key to unlock it. Well, the key comes out filthy every time, presumably because the previous owner lost the little cover that protected it from the elements. So in my infinite wisdom I stick a pipe cleaner up there to try and clean some gunk out.

Learn a new lesson everyday, that's what I say. Unfortunately mine means only being able to stick the key halfway into the slot, so now the only way to get the trunk open is the emergency pull cord IN the trunk (because in Volvo's infinite wisdom they decided they didn't need a trunk release in the cabin)…

So after we got that opened (which involved half and hour, a pool cue, and my thankfully slender wife slithering in to find the pull cord which had worked its way up into the little felt cover) we rigged a string to it so we can open it from the cabin.

My immense stupidity aside, Volvo really should've rethought the whole "everything must be electric" mentality, especially because Electric Gremlins come standard with their cars.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the end of the pipe cleaner out? I've already pulled a bunch of the "fur" from it out, but I suspect that a tiny bit of the metal is up in their. I'd rather not pay the dealership two hours labor to get it out.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mhphoto
Oh boy, I've done it now.

The electric components of the trunk stopped working. The keyless won't unlatch the trunk, the little electric button by the license plate lights doesn't work. "Okay," I think. So I start using the key to unlock it. Well, the key comes out filthy every time, presumably because the previous owner lost the little cover that protected it from the elements. So in my infinite wisdom I stick a pipe cleaner up there to try and clean some gunk out.

Learn a new lesson everyday, that's what I say. Unfortunately mine means only being able to stick the key halfway into the slot, so now the only way to get the trunk open is the emergency pull cord IN the trunk (because in Volvo's infinite wisdom they decided they didn't need a trunk release in the cabin)…

So after we got that opened (which involved half and hour, a pool cue, and my thankfully slender wife slithering in to find the pull cord which had worked its way up into the little felt cover) we rigged a string to it so we can open it from the cabin.

My immense stupidity aside, Volvo really should've rethought the whole "everything must be electric" mentality, especially because Electric Gremlins come standard with their cars.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the end of the pipe cleaner out? I've already pulled a bunch of the "fur" from it out, but I suspect that a tiny bit of the metal is up in their. I'd rather not pay the dealership two hours labor to get it out.
...nice, well I think the only way to clean it would be to remove the locking cylinder....which is more or less "fun" lol
perhaps you can get a pick set (like your dentist uses) and scrape out the crap also get a syringe full of rubbing alcohol and periodically squirt some in there. then keep picking, make sure you get some graphite lock lubricant in there afterwards otherwise the lock could freeze up.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:58 AM

Sounds like you have a wiring issue also,on my S40 I had trunk open warning, alarm issues and couldn't open trunk either. One wire was broken where the loom enters the trunk lid

Old 06-13-2012, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by liam085
Sounds like you have a wiring issue also,on my S40 I had trunk open warning, alarm issues and couldn't open trunk either. One wire was broken where the loom enters the trunk lid
Thanks, I'll check that. I glanced the wires over, but would've only caught anything jarring. I hope the fix is that simple. My wife's pull-string system works, but it's depressing as heck.

I also discovered today that I couldn't fit the key in the driver's door. Took a look and it turns out the little door that keep crud out had a broken spring. I pulled the little spring out and now it works. Just need to keep it clean.