Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Changing fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing fuel pump

'02 S60 2.4 non turbo. Anyone out there ever changed the fuel pump? I've found the access panel under the rear passenger seat and see some sort or retaining ring but I haven't been able to unseat it by tapping the tabs counter clock wise. Thanks.

Jesse

Old 10-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Changing fuel pump

They are kind of a pain to do.
You will also have to remove the passenger side rear seat back.The side panel comes off usually you have to reach in and hit the release tabs. Then slide it up to get it out. Or some you have to pull the top straight towards you then slide up.
Then you will see s 14mm screw where the seat swivels to fold down. Unplug the plug and remove the 14mm screw. Then slide the seat towards the passenger side and remove.

Then next you will have to remove the drivers side sending unit. You will see a hose and some wires attached to the bottom of the sending unit. Unhook them. You will need tie a small but lung rope to the hose that has a loop.

Next undo the passenger side sending unit. Then pull the sending unit out carefully watching the rope from the other side. I usually tie the other end of the rope to the door latch on the body. This way all of the rope won't end up in the tank.

Then once you get it all the way out untie the rope and tie it to the new unit and pull it back through and reinstall everything.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:34 PM

Tech,
I have gotten that far with the seat out, removing the cover plate, and unhooking the two fuel lines but there is a retaining ring that I can't seem to get loose and I was wondering if there is a trick to it. Does it just need to be turned counter clock wise or is a snap in type ring. I'm attaching a photo. The ring I'm talking about has the red lines over part of it. I tried to tap it counter clock wise by the tabs, but it didn't budge. Because its plastic I didn't want to break it. Thanks.

Jesse

[IMG]local://upfiles/11776/CBCD66010AA649C1BC7BABE0EC2346C7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

There is usually a special tool you need to loosen it.
You might have to make a tool to get it loose.
remember you have to loosen the other one as well since they are pretty much connected.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:45 AM

--Counter-clockwise--
Use two large-bigger the better-screw drivers with the tips set against opposing lugs(any two lugs as long as theyon opposite sidesof the ring)in an X pattern. This helps offset theexpansion force against tapping a single lug.Use the leverage of one screw driver against the other.It will take some pressure but should come loose. Even if you break those two lugsyou will be ok- stop andtry to lay hands on the special tool. It fits all the lugs at the same time.

On install --dont force-- it should thread almost all the way down, just snug it up.Watch to make sure you dontget wiring pinched in the o-ring as it will set a CEL.Do you have a left side sending unit? OrI should askis your tank aluminum or plastic?

Hope this helps

Old 10-19-2007, 06:21 AM

Thanks for the advice I will give it a try on the tightening. Ended up making a partial pattern tool out of wood to break the seal and then was able to tap it loose the old fashioned way. By the way the tank is plastic. Thanks again.