Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Checking transmission fluid level

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking transmission fluid level

Learning about our 2004 s60, I had to first learn where the transmission dipstick was. The fluid was dark and didn't smell right. At 170,000 miles and with no service history, I took it in to the only local Volvo mechanic to have the fluid changed. They have a good reputation, but now I'm learning to trust their work.

After a 2 mile drive to our driveway, the next morning I check the fluid, to find none showing. As I've done over my 60 years of checking vehicle fluids, with the engine running in Park, when cold, it will show at that level. The dipstick doesn't have instructions otherwise and the owners manual says nothing about the transmission fluid. Did they put in enough, was my first thought.

I called the garage with my concern. This is their instructions on checking the transmission fluid level - Start it up, shift it through the gears, shut it off, wait 2 minutes, then check, with the engine off. The fluid was at the cold mark. Now I'm willing it check it when its been driven and is hot, after waiting 2 minutes, after shutting it off.

Is this what is known as the transmission fluid level check procedure on this year s60? Thank you. Tom

Old 07-30-2020, 04:08 PM
Received 596 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by wife'sgotoguy
I took it in to the only local Volvo mechanic to have the fluid changed. They have a good reputation, but now I'm learning to trust their work.
Your local shop is very confused -

Check the transmission fluid hot, with the engine running! There are specific temps that people will want the fluid at to be most accurate, but sounds like you need to find someone who can do this simple job for you.

Next question, since they seem so qualified - what fluid did they use? It's very important, the wrong fluid is a really bad thing.

To change fluid - Check fluid level running with engine hot, turn off engine, drain fluid into a container with measurements on it - usually 3.3-3.5 quarts leak out. Put that amount of correct spec fluid (jws3309, not a generic) back in! (if it was full before) and check it again after it warms up. Some people will flush the fluid with the engine running pumping it out of one of the cooler lines. With that many miles I would recommend a couple of drain and fills. You will change most of the fluid that way. Keep in mind that new fluid is more slippery than old fluid - so you might introduce slippage if your clutches are worn.

Last edited by hoonk; 07-30-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

Yep. Fluid expands as it heats up so the dipstick has both a cold and hot level mark. The newer transmissions (like the 6 speed Aisins) require VIDA DICE or similar to use the transmission temp signal to check the level when the transmission is at 55C (130F - hot enough to burn your hand...)

Old 07-31-2020, 09:45 AM

At age 75, hoonk, I am the one who is confused. Vehicles I've maintained in the past, I'd check the trans fluid, with engine running and in park. If cold, seeing it marked in the cold marking area, but for certain and most accurate, when hot, marked then in the hot marking. Checking the s60 with engine off, had me confused.

It was not my choice to learn about a new to me (2004) vehicle, but as seen in my name, I got to, because of my wife's arrangement with our Grand Daughter. The deal meant a lot to them. Taking it on, with no maintenance records, I'm doing my best with what I remember. The trans fluid didn't look or smell good to me. Based on what other local Volvo owners report, this shop knows what they are doing, are honest and reputable.

In learning to trust them after they serviced it, of course I'm going to check the trans fluid level the next morning, after the 2 mile drive from the shop to here. With the engine running, no fluid showed. I checked it cold knowing the dipstick was marked for that and not wanting to drive it without having some indication. My call to them, I learned how to check the fluid with the engine off. When my wife returns with it hot, after it's shut off, waiting a couple minutes, I expect to see it marked hot as I saw it marked cold.

I am not going to question what fluid they used, for they should know. I did ask what radiator coolant to use and got some of that to have on hand. I've serviced transmissions in the past, which included changing a filter, so with no filter replacement as part of this job, that had me confused, until a previous post here assured me the s60 has no trans filter, indicating my local shop has some idea they know what they are doing. I have some proof of that - the fluid they used is not engine oil. Tom

Old 07-31-2020, 01:40 PM
Received 596 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by wife'sgotoguy
I learned how to check the fluid with the engine off. When my wife returns with it hot, after it's shut off, waiting a couple minutes, I expect to see it marked hot as I saw it marked cold.
Volvo does not include instructions in their recent (01+) owners manuals for checking the trans fluid. I don't have access to my copy of VIDA (Volvo service manual) today but I did find this from Volvo for a 1999 - which uses the same transmission with 4 instead of 5 speeds.(and different fluid spec)
1999 S70 & V70

I fear if you are check your fluid with the engine off - the fluid will be low with the engine running and you risk damaging the transmission due to low oil.

If you google how to check volvo transmission fluid - you will find that the engine needs to be running as both you and I learned many years ago.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:43 PM

Hoonk, thank you for your persistence in providing info on checking the transmission fluid while the engine is running. The local shop mechanc

Old 08-01-2020, 12:17 AM

Hoonk, the local shop mechanic made a mistake. I checked your 1999 s70 link, watched YouTube videos on the 2004 s60 and called a major dealer south of us and all were saying the engine needs to be running. I left a message at the local shop of what I found. Later they called about their mistake.

After 50 years of vehicle maintenance, and confident after learning how to do a specific job, that I'd do it right, I am disappointed that who I chose to trust with the Volvo, is not as careful as I always was. My mechanic for our '99 Mercury Villager has proven to be good, and backed off servicing the Volvo because he had not kept up with Volvo. He recommended the shop we are at. Hopefully, it's their only mistake. Actually, their grace period is over.

Thankfully, it was only a 2 mile drive home. Thankfully, I remembered to check it, before driving any further. They will be here Monday morning to service it in our driveway. I have begun to look forward to not having to drive - not having to be concerned about maintenance will be a big part of my enjoyment. Tom