Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Does CPO warranty cover electrical

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 08:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does CPO warranty cover electrical

Well considering that I've owned my 2016 V60 CPO since March 2019 with 20,000 miles on it and it currently only has 27,0000 miles total on the car, it is still under warranty.

I am having an electrical issue with the AC/Heat fans not working and I'm considering what the dealer may throw my way as far as what is covered under the CPO warranty.

If it needs a new battery, is it covered under warranty - should they have installed a new one when I bought the car?

If it is a computer issue is that covered under the CPO warranty?

Blown fuse -- I don't think I should be paying a $100 service labor charge --- should I?

Weird that this car has such an issue after driving it for only @7,000 miles. But one thing that always bugged me was this - the dealer accepted the car in Oct. 2018 and allowed their sales person to drive the car until I purchased it in March 2019. Then they set their CPO check-up on the date of first acceptance, Oct. 2018.

So should I get ready to stand my ground and make the warranty cover what ever the issue is with the fans.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Battery is not covered by CPO. It should not have been replaced during the CPO process unless it failed a load test at that time. A CCM, blower motor controller or blower motor should be covered by CPO.

Old 01-14-2020, 01:11 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The battery in my 2015 V60 was replaced under CPO when it was diagnosed as the reason for failure of the stop/start system.

A second issue required a little more effort. I took the car in for routine service and noted that the backlight on one of the 4 window control buttons on the driver's door was out. I was told (a) that "light bulbs" were not covered under CPO and (b) the light in question was not replaceable - only the entire switch assembly - $500+ parts and labor. I raised the issue with Volvo USA customer service - same answer. Unsatisfied, I wrote to the president of Volvo USA, taking the position that the fault in question was not a light bulb which one would deem replaceable but an electrical component with multiple non-serviceable parts that should be covered. Volvo has agreed to a replacement as a "goodwill" gesture.

I am struck by the fact that a vast majority of the problems reported on these sub-forums are electrical - frequent battery replacement, headlamp problems, a/c and fan issues, lock malfunction, dead or intermittent displays etc. etc. The "take-homes" seem clear:

The design and manufacture of Volvo electrical/electronic systems is marginal

When a Volvo reaches the end of it's warranty - original, CPO or extended, dump it!

Old 01-14-2020, 06:59 AM

Well the issue is that someone (a dealer sales person) drove the car for 6 months after the initial CPO inspection. So I really didn't get a fresh CPO inspected car that had a fresh battery load test. My bad for buying it in such a condition.

I am really getting concerned about the electrical issues I am seeing and hearing about. I don't think this car will be my usual 200,000 mile Volvo and after the CPO is over, I may trade it in on another car. If it needs a new CCM with under 30,000 miles on the clock is telling.

Do they load test batteries? Story --- my last car that I owned for less than a year was a 2015 Outback CPO car. The day I went to test drive the car, it would not start, it had a dead battery. New battery installed and off we went. Load tested? I think not and I am becoming less and less of a CPO fan.

Originally Posted by ES6T
Battery is not covered by CPO. It should not have been replaced during the CPO process unless it failed a load test at that time. A CCM, blower motor controller or blower motor should be covered by CPO.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

I doubt it's a CCM. Don't think I've seen one fail on those.

Old 01-15-2020, 03:20 PM
Default CCM dead

Well it is as I suspected, a bad CCU. If it were not a CPO car, this would have been am expensive repair. Errrr!!!!

I've always had a suspicion that there was something about this car but couldn't put my finger on it. The drivers door has never closed with the same ease as the other doors and the dealer doesn't seem to think there is an issue. My eyes loved the car and won over the car-guy suspicious nature in me. But maybe it is just a coincidence but a very statistically high chance of a CCU being bad at 27,000 miles. Water ingress would cause such a fault and at times, I do tend to have what I consider an excess amount of moisture on the inside of the windshield. Kind of like you might expect from a leaking heater matrix but not as bad???

"Inspection report contains photos and comments about your recommended services
Related requested service -Needs immediate attention Climate Control Unit: fault in climate control unit.
Approved By ########"

They are also going to do a software upgrade and they hope it will fix the random rebooting of the radio and the need to upgrade my Sirius channels every time I start the car.

"Software Upgrade: upgrade IHU SW per TJ33202"

Originally Posted by ES6T

Last edited by urdrwho; 01-15-2020 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:31 AM

Well another update.

Waiting for the part to arrive tomorrow and today I received a phone call from the Service guy. This morning they applied the update to the head unit (there is a TSB for the reboot problem). Once the update was applied, the climate control unit started to work.

I asked if the head unit TSB update mentions a fix for CCU problems and the service guy said no. Ha so my next question has poor service guy probably hating me. "So if I had not mentioned the radio problem, the tech would have installed a $1,000 part and the climate control would still not be working ---- right?" He shakes his head yes. I said I bet the CCU repair is a $1200 repair and service guy says you are very close.

So I've documented all this stuff. If the CCU starts to act up in 2021 when I have no CPO warranty --- I am going to ask about the magically fixed CCU that isn't mentioned in the HU TSB. So am I the ONLY car in the world that had a failing CCU that was fixed by a head unit update? I find that hard to believe.

My next request will be the Recall for door latches --- R89978.

Originally Posted by urdrwho
Well it is as I suspected, a bad CCU. If it were not a CPO car, this would have been am expensive repair. Errrr!!!!

I've always had a suspicion that there was something about this car but couldn't put my finger on it. The drivers door has never closed with the same ease as the other doors and the dealer doesn't seem to think there is an issue. My eyes loved the car and won over the car-guy suspicious nature in me. But maybe it is just a coincidence but a very statistically high chance of a CCU being bad at 27,000 miles. Water ingress would cause such a fault and at times, I do tend to have what I consider an excess amount of moisture on the inside of the windshield. Kind of like you might expect from a leaking heater matrix but not as bad???

"Inspection report contains photos and comments about your recommended services
Related requested service -Needs immediate attention Climate Control Unit: fault in climate control unit.
Approved By ########"

They are also going to do a software upgrade and they hope it will fix the random rebooting of the radio and the need to upgrade my Sirius channels every time I start the car.

"Software Upgrade: upgrade IHU SW per TJ33202"

Old 01-16-2020, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

That TJ doesn't mention it pertaining to the CCM but I can see how it might be possible. Haven't experienced this in a customer car yet.

As for the lock recall, parts are not available yet.