Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I buy Used from non volvo and then Extended Volvo warranty from Volvo drl?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I buy Used from non volvo and then Extended Volvo warranty from Volvo drl?

I am planning to buy a used Volvo XC 90 V8 2010 with 31K miles on it from a Non Volvo dealer. The car is very clean and fully loaded with all the options that we want. It is however, being sold by a non volvo dealer.

I have looked and waited for months but none which meets with our criteria seems to come up as CPO.

Now my question is that once I buy this vehicle from the Non Volvo Dealer, will I be able to take it in to local Volvo dealership and buy additional Extended Volvo warranty similar to CPO warranty on it? IF yes, then how much should it cost approx?

We are buying this car sight unseen from a Dealer 500 miles away. They will have the car driven over to us. We have already put a small deposit on it. ITs costing us 34K + T /TL /R

I would love to get some advice from all the volvo owners and experts here.

Last edited by starlights; 10-30-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:29 AM
Post Extend warranty prior to expiration of original

It looks like a beauty, but you are really brave with the blonde interior!

.................................................. ..........................................

About the warranty question...

Several years ago, we bought a Volvo VIP Extended Warranty from a dealership along with a CPO XC90. Great vehicle. The car has served us very well -- comfortable and dependable. We plan to keep the car, and the extended contract was about to expire. We decided to pursue an additional extension. We succeeded, but the process was not as simple as we expected.

I signed up for the Forum... just so I could share a few tidbits of info with you. Yup, a newbie, so please bear with me on the format of this response?

We were told (or figured out) a few things along the way:

1) Only a Volvo dealer can sell a Volvo VIP Plan. (VIP = Volvo Increased Protection)

2) Not ALL Volvo dealers are offering Volvo VIP Service Contracts. In our research, we found Volvo dealers selling Ford Extended Warranty, EasyCare Warranty, and even one selling a warranty/service contract directly underwritten by yet another insurance company. Very confusing.

3) There are also 3rd party companies that sell "extended warranties" for Volvos and other cars. When you read the finer details of covered items vs. exclusions, etc., you will find that some are next to worthless.

4) So... do your homework first. I would recommend that you CALL YOUR LOCAL Volvo dealer. We found that warranty stuff is primarily handled directly by the dealership's Finance Department.

We also found that some personnel in the Finance Depts were not fully trained in this area. Make sure you find a seasoned finance rep in the dealership who knows what you're talking about. I kid you not. It once took me three phone calls to the same dealership to convince a "young" finance person that they really DO SELL Volvo-branded warranties!

Ask if they offer the specific Volvo VIP Extended Warranty.

VIP plan = very similar to CPO extended warranty that you want!
Even includes Roadside Assistance, car rental during certain repairs, etc.

5) In order to buy the Volvo VIP Extended Warranty, your car must still be under ACTIVE WARRANTY. Again, work with your local dealership. If they do not happen to sell the VIP Plan, they may be able to connect you with another dealer who can help.

Even when the car is still under the original Volvo warranty, we found that some dealers will want to do their own $100 to $120 inspection of the vehicle before they will write the warranty.

6) Be CERTAIN that you are getting COMPLETE maintenance and service records for the vehicle as part of the sale.

The warranty language is very specific about this factor. If you should have a dispute over a future warranty claim, your case can be rejected solely on the basis that "owner neglected to follow and provide documentation of FULL COMPLIANCE with all service recommendations".

7) Best of luck with your new-to-you car venture!!!

- JoyRide

Old 10-30-2012, 11:58 AM

Joyride
Thanks a ton for your detailed reply. Its very helpful.

Regarding the complete maintenance records - I'll be sure to ask, but I am not very hopeful. In any case, are the Volvo Authorized dealers not able to pull the nationwide service history of a Volvo car by its Vin #, if it was maintained through a volvo dlrship? They can do that with BMWs ....

I spoke with one dealer yesterday regarding the extended VIP Warranty - He told me about a few different options, but then went on to tell me that the one we should get is one for 4 yrs and 50K miles - and it costs $1900. This plan starts from the day we buy it, so he advised that we should wait till we are nearer to completion of the original volvo warranty before starting this plan.

I plan on some more calls to other dealers today to verify.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:16 PM

Hey all - just a quick note to fill you in our Extended Warranty Plans. We are Steingold Volvo in Pawtucket, RI and offer huge discounts on Volvo VIP Extended Warranty Plans purchased online or over the phone. The process is extremely simple - just provide us with the VIN of your vehicle and the exact mileage and we'll give you all the details immediately. We will even apply a $100.00 discount towards our already discounted prices. And keep in mind, absolutely no vehicle checks are necessary as everything is performed directly over the phone/internet. Just contact us and we'll be happy to help - Call (401) 723-4700 or simply click here: Purchase Volvo Extended Warranty at Steingold in Pawtucket, RI | Discounted Volvo Extended Warranty Plans | Volvo VIP Extended Warranty Plans Online

Old 05-13-2014, 08:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And what policies are recommended for vehicles out of the original warranty? My XC60 is out by 6000 miles now. I'd like to keep the cars until it won't drive anymore. I thought that an extended warranty can help me keep it longer. But I read so much negative press about third party policies. I'm wondering if I should forget it and just pay for repairs as they happen.