Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Engine question. s60 2.5t 07 with B5254T4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine question. s60 2.5t 07 with B5254T4?

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought this engine was only put in the R models. Now if it is an R engine why on earth would it be put in the 2.5t car?

Now regardless of which car this engine is supposed to be put in, what is roughly the max HP these can handle. I know that they crack at higher than normal HP applications. I want to make this as fast as possible without having to shim or sleeve the engine because I'm not pulling it.

My mods will probably be
Downpipe and exhaust system
ECU Tune
Sway bars and lowering springs.
That is probably where I will stop due to budget and the risk of cracking.

I would like to put a bigger turbo but that is very expensive for only an extra 10-20HP and puts me at risk for cracking, so I probably won't end up doing that. It just doesn't seem worth the 1-2k
I might put on a new air intake system or the boost ability kit just for a couple of hp and mainly for some cool noises lol.

I was thinking of going with IPD for the tune and equipment, except for the turbo Id have to buy from VIVA performance.

Any input you guys have would be awesome, I'm brand new to the car world.

Old 07-16-2021, 01:45 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

To answer your first question; the 2.5T has the B5254T2 which is practically the same thing block-wise.

For what you are doing upgrade wise you won't need to worry about cracking the block, just dont go crazy on the boosts.

I would have the boost increased with your tune and stray away from a boost control as the computers do not like them. Hilton is a great source for a tune as well. An option to look into for you.

Something you don't want to hear but it's said all the time, your most economic move would be to sell your 2.5T and get a R ( this is coming from someone who owns a 06 2.5T AWD)

If you want to put a bigger turbo on, swap it with the k24 from an R. You can get one pretty cheap at about 200-300 in my area and its a direct bolt on swap. I put a rear sway bar from a V70R with poly bushings in my car and it worked great and only cost $40 for the bar and $25 for the bushings and mounts. I didn't feel like dropping the subframe in the front to put a larger one there. I did my rear sway bar when I put coilovers in (BC Racing ~$1000) since you need to pull one strut anyways to get the bar out.

For an air intake, i would personally just swap the filter with a high flow filter, and for me personally, intake is one of the last things because you get the least bang for your buck.

The T5 engines are a lot better if you really want to build it because its the 2.4L which is the same stroke as the 2.5L but they didn't bore it out more so you have thicker walls.

Hope this helps

Old 07-16-2021, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingus
To answer your first question; the 2.5T has the B5254T2 which is practically the same thing block-wise.

For what you are doing upgrade wise you won't need to worry about cracking the block, just dont go crazy on the boosts.

I would have the boost increased with your tune and stray away from a boost control as the computers do not like them. Hilton is a great source for a tune as well. An option to look into for you.

Something you don't want to hear but it's said all the time, your most economic move would be to sell your 2.5T and get a R ( this is coming from someone who owns a 06 2.5T AWD)

If you want to put a bigger turbo on, swap it with the k24 from an R. You can get one pretty cheap at about 200-300 in my area and its a direct bolt on swap. I put a rear sway bar from a V70R with poly bushings in my car and it worked great and only cost $40 for the bar and $25 for the bushings and mounts. I didn't feel like dropping the subframe in the front to put a larger one there. I did my rear sway bar when I put coilovers in (BC Racing ~$1000) since you need to pull one strut anyways to get the bar out.

For an air intake, i would personally just swap the filter with a high flow filter, and for me personally, intake is one of the last things because you get the least bang for your buck.

The T5 engines are a lot better if you really want to build it because its the 2.4L which is the same stroke as the 2.5L but they didn't bore it out more so you have thicker walls.

Hope this helps
If my 2.5t has a different engine is possible that I have the k24 turbo? Or is that the engine is the exact same as the t2. yea I probably wont do any intake system or radiator unless I see heat problems