Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Engine rattle on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine rattle on acceleration

I have a 2006 S60 that has an engine rattle when accelerating. If moving at an idle it's fine. But as you accelerate it rattles from the engine and then stops after reaching 20 MPH or so. You can sometimes hear it rattle when cruising and accelerating. If I put it in neutral and rev the engine, I can't hear it. So I can't listen for it looking under the car or hood.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

- Jeff

Old 06-29-2011, 11:31 AM

could be related to the gas...sort of a ping noise????? try replacing the gas filter and also upgrading the gas or getting gas from a major gas station and not just your average joe's station...I was watching a new story that was showing some stations gas was not the octane stated at the pumps when they tested it, other were fine...not sure if this is what your trying to explain but it almost sounds like your referring to a ping...if not please repost and I am sure someone on this site can help you

Old 06-29-2011, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure about it being a ping or not. Wouldn't it also ping in neutral?

My wife was having a power steering squeal checked and inquired about it to the mechanic. He mentioned that it might be a shield or something near the heating element. We haven't been back to fix the squeal yet, so they didn't get a chance to fully check it out. I hope that it is some sort of rattle that I can fix, but I don't know where to start and thought someone here might have heard of this problem. The power steering is going to be expensive to fix, so I'm hoping this is cheap to fix.

Thanks again.

- Jeff

Old 06-29-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by jreynolds
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure about it being a ping or not. Wouldn't it also ping in neutral?

My wife was having a power steering squeal checked and inquired about it to the mechanic. He mentioned that it might be a shield or something near the heating element. We haven't been back to fix the squeal yet, so they didn't get a chance to fully check it out. I hope that it is some sort of rattle that I can fix, but I don't know where to start and thought someone here might have heard of this problem. The power steering is going to be expensive to fix, so I'm hoping this is cheap to fix.

Thanks again.

- Jeff
it very well could be a heat shield....but a ping only happens when you accelerate so if the car is in neutral and your stepping on the gas your not going to hear it as the engine is not working to move the car hence its not under a load so to speak...see this thread from another site Can Someone Please Give Me a Definitive Answer On This? - Honda Car Forum - Accord Parts Civic Tuning Acura Racing hope this helps!

Old 06-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the heat shield being loose. My guess is that it just needs tightening.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engine knocking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia sounds like engine knock witch u Will only hear under accel or a lode