Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

ESC service required and motor system service required

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 08:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC service required and motor system service required

Hi! Today when driving my Volvo S60 2015, 1.6L, diesel on the highway, both the esc service required and motor system service required have lighted up. Now the car cannot go over 2000 RPMs and the acceleration is very slow. Does anybody know which might be the cause?

Old 08-29-2022, 06:12 AM
Received 88 Likes on 86 Posts

You car is in limp-home mode, that is why the performance is low; to prevent any further potential damage. Your first step would to get the car scanned to check for codes and start a diagnostic from there, or bring it to a trusted mechanic for a diag. ESC is your electronic stability control.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:41 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

OP, I'd also advise checking your car batteries. Particularly, check the main/large battery. If you haven't changed it, your 2015's battery may be at the end of its useful life, which might also cause indicators to light up in your dashboard.

Old 09-06-2022, 05:07 AM

I went to the service and the problem was that the electrical part of an injector was broken. I've changed that injector and now the problem is that the car is not working as before. In the morning when is a little bit cold, the engine is not working properly until it heats up (it stops, the sound is strange and it makes a lot of smoke). The mechanic told me that it is from the others 3 injectors which are not working in the same parameters as the new one. Is there anything I can do, or should I change all injectors?

Old 09-06-2022, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by pointer95
I went to the service and the problem was that the electrical part of an injector was broken. I've changed that injector and now the problem is that the car is not working as before. In the morning when is a little bit cold, the engine is not working properly until it heats up (it stops, the sound is strange and it makes a lot of smoke). The mechanic told me that it is from the others 3 injectors which are not working in the same parameters as the new one. Is there anything I can do, or should I change all injectors?
Check for codes. Always better to diagnose the problem before throwing parts at it.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by maggs
Check for codes. Always better to diagnose the problem before throwing parts at it.
There are no codes left. The service made a test on how injectors work, and the parameters of the new one are different then the old ones. But the computer doesn't give any codes.

Old 09-06-2022, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by pointer95
There are no codes left. The service made a test on how injectors work, and the parameters of the new one are different then the old ones. But the computer doesn't give any codes.
Common OBD2 Codes for Bad Fuel Injectors P0200-P0216 – All manufacturers use this series of codes to identify a fuel injector fault. The last two digits of the code will relate to the particular fuel injector that is not responding correctly. This code could relate to a bad fuel injector, or it could be caused by a wiring problem.

In my humble opinion, the service tech should have checked for codes BEFORE replacing parts. Bad fuel injectors should emit an error code, if they are the problem. Often times, when a tech either doesn't know what they are doing or the shop wants to run up a bill, they'll state that all of the injectors need replacing, instead of checking for codes, and just replacing what's needed. Suggest bringing your car to another shop, if you don't have the DIY skills or tools to work on this.

BTW, you said the service "made a test on how injectors work" and "parameters of the new one are different". Could it possibly be that the service tech installed the wrong injector or that the new one is defective or not installed properly? If the tech didn't run codes BEFORE working on your car, and didn't show you the results of the code scan, I'd move onto another garage. Just blindly replacing parts is not a good solution.

Last edited by maggs; 09-07-2022 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-07-2022, 06:24 AM
Received 88 Likes on 86 Posts

Yeah, you don't need to replace all injectors if one was faulty. I have done this several times in the past with no issue. I agree with maggs about maybe taking it to another shop to test it out. Injectors work by being open for a certain amount of time as indicated by the ECU, if they aren't operating correctly then, again like maggs said, there would a code of some kind.

As far as your car not working well when cold, is the intake heater working properly? The diesel engines need to warm the air going in when its cold for a better start. I am not to keen on volvo diesels as we don't have them in America, but it is a spot to inspect.