Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ETM Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 03:00 PM
MK1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ETM Concerns

Upon reading this article the article below I have a few questions. My '01 2.4T has about 79K on it. I bought it used about 7 months ago from an independant dealer and have not had a single problem with it. However, the ETM issue is definately a concern. Especially with my planned vacation to Panama City next week where I'll be on the road with it for 8 hours each way. My question...Is there any way to tell if the ETM has already been replaced? There is no paperwork with my car of any of the work done on it. I know I could probably go to a dealer and have them pull the VIN # or something like that, but that would be an inconvienance. Any advice would be much appreciated.

NHTSA Action Number : PE05041 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A
Make : VOLVO Model: S60
Manufacturer : VOLVO CARS OF N.A. LLC. Year : 2001
Component : VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
Date Investigation Opened : July 26, 2005
Date Investigation Closed : Open
Summary:
THE OFFICE OF DEFECTS INVESTIGATION (ODI) HAS RECEIVED ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY-ONE (131) CONSUMER COMPLAINTS ALLEGING A VARIETY OF CONCERNS RESULTING FROM FAILURE OF THE ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL MODULE (ETM) IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES, INCLUDING A SUDDEN LOSS OF SPEED AND STEERING ASSIST WHEN DRIVING IN HIGHWAY TRAFFIC AND SUDDEN AND COMPLETE STALL WITHOUT WARNING. IN SOME INSTANCES, IT HAS BEEN REPORTED THAT THE VEHICLES WOULD RESTART, AND IN SOME CASES THE VEHICLES WERE TOWED. SOME CONSUMERS ALLEGE THAT AFTER HAVING THE ETM REPLACED THE NEW COMPONENT FAILED IN A SIMILAR MANNER. A PRELIMINARY EVALUATION HAS BEEN OPENED TO DETERMINE THE SCOPE, FREQUENCY, AND POTENTIAL SAFETY-RELATED CONSEQUENCES OF THE ALLEGED DEFECT

Old 08-04-2005, 06:34 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ETM Concerns

Please read my posting of today in the c70 forum. Volvo has now taken the position that they will entertain on a generous basis, the replacement of the throttle body for an extended period of time. The unit is supposed to last appx 100,000 miles however they apparently do not make it that long. Incidently, cleaning the throttle on a periodic basis will extend the life of this Italian unit...... ie: the throttle is not Bosch.

Old 08-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=39438

It is my understanding that the original ETM has a white sticker label. Replacement ETM's have a yellow sticker label.

It is my understanding that the ETM is a BOSCH unit using components from a vendor in Italy.

Until more information is revealed from this investigation, I would find a small independent Euro Import Repair Shop (more reasonable labor $$) and have them replace ETM every 40K miles.

Old 08-07-2005, 05:46 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Marelli in Italy makes the unit and it is only available from Volvo. The cost of installation in nominal to the cost of the unit. Plus, you would then have to have your Volvo towed from the independent shop to Volvo as only Volvo can activate the computer so that your auto can run.