Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

first car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first car?

I drove an '01 s60 2.4 today and loved it. It had 105k miles on it, but ive seen others in my area with less mileage for not much more money. I'm only 17 so I wont have a ton of money to spend on repairs, so I thought I might come over here to get your opinion's (and some facts) on the 01 s60 and why it's great or not.

Post everything, I really loved the ride, but ill settle for something asian if I must...I want something enjoyable and reliable, but volvo's reliability costs much more than any other manufacturer.

Not too sure about this, let me know....eh...thanks in advance as I hope to get some responces unlike tons of other forums.

TELL ME GOOD AND BAD. PLEASE BE BIASED, YES I SAID BE BIASED. TELL ME ALL YOUR HORROR STORIES YOU HAVE.

dan.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TCM is the big problem but Volvo has covered them with a 10 year 200K mile warranty. If your TCM is the Magneti-Marelli one it should be covered. Otherwise they are solid cars. Make sure the timing belt has been changed, and if not do that immediately. Rotors can't be turned as they warp, so see when it had new rotors put on. Little electric blips every once in a while but that's the case with most newer cars now. Try to get the maintenance records. If it has been well maintained you will probably have less problems.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:43 AM

so as long as it is in good condition, how a new timing belt and has had new rotors in the past few thousand miles, it should be a decent car? My brother said dont get anything above 80k, but i dont want every car in the area to be sold before I get one, volvo's are above kbb in my area and sell really fast.

dan.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Most cars I would say go lower miles. However, a Volvo will last forever. They are more expensive to maintain but they will hold their value a lot longer than most other brands. You really need to look at the miles per year as opposed to the total miles. The car you're looking at is 9, almost 10 years old. That is only 11,600 miles per year, which is not high mileage. It really boils down to how much you have/want to spend and the bang you want to get for the buck.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by jks2
Most cars I would say go lower miles. However, a Volvo will last forever. They are more expensive to maintain but they will hold their value a lot longer than most other brands. You really need to look at the miles per year as opposed to the total miles. The car you're looking at is 9, almost 10 years old. That is only 11,600 miles per year, which is not high mileage. It really boils down to how much you have/want to spend and the bang you want to get for the buck.
thanks for the input man, I just hope they will change or have already changed the timing belt and rotors in the recent past. The engine light is on as well as emission warning, but the dealer said they would have those fixed before they sell it. Is the o2 sensor (or whatever emission prob. it is) normal on these models to go corrupt after 10yr/100k miles? or is it something I should caution? Thanks for the help, I just hope to get the right car.

dan.

edit: I see you have an altima 3.5se, how does that compare to your '02 s60 in maintenance/repairs assuming both would be cared for equally by you.

Last edited by DanPaq; 07-29-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

The TCM was a problem. The Magneti-Marelli brand was on the NA versions of the car and it was a Bosch on the Turbo versions. There was a lawsuit, I think, and Volvo put the extended warranty on the ones with the M-M module.

To clarify about the statement I made regarding Volvo's being more expensive to maintain; They are but with them holding their value longer it generally makes it worth it to go ahead and put the money into them for repairs.

I haven't had the Altima for that long, so I really don't have any repair costs to compare it to the Volvo. There are more Altima's around and parts seem to be a little cheaper. However, I don't expect the Altima to be very expensive to maintain. My daughter is graduating from college next spring and the Volvo will be given to her as a graduation present. That's why I bought the Altima.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:56 PM

alright, i think i might consider getting this, hoping it will last well over 200k, hopefully!

thanks for the help and if you can find any nicely priced volvos around the zip code 02035, please let me know! Thanks!

dan.