Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Front end Collision S60 2015

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end Collision S60 2015

I had a frint end collision in my 2015 S60 T5. Air bags did not deploy so it wasnt that high a speed on impact. Hurt hood, left fender, bumper, grill and right light. Then, while driving to repair shop, on the right side of car all oil or some type of fluid just dumped out of car from bottom right, the car started shaking and clanking so i immediately pulled over, stopped the engine, called AAA and had the car towed to shop. It appeared while looking at inside of car while up on tow truck i saw a silver chain broken laying on underpan. I couldnt take it in to that particular shop so I had it towed home. Does anyone out there have an idea what may have been damaged. Did not drive car since and want to get a better grasp on things before i take it in for collision and mechanic repair. Been thinking as to whether my best bet is to get repair done with my insurance at a certified Volvo collision center.. I dont want my car to be declared totalled so i'm not going to take it to a shop where insurance company recommends, just in case they dont want to pay for damages and might find it easier to say its totalled.
looking for honesty. Anyone have any input?
Thank you.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:18 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Honestly, no one will know whats damaged more than you since the car is in front of you. But it sounds like the timing chain came off, maybe a pulley or something broke to allow slack in the chain to make it come off. Youd have to look further to see what ACTUALLY broke, but you'll probably need some engine work done. That clunking noise was most likely your valves getting smacked by the piston heads

Old 04-29-2021, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MX

Originally Posted by Dingus
Honestly, no one will know whats damaged more than you since the car is in front of you. But it sounds like the timing chain came off, maybe a pulley or something broke to allow slack in the chain to make it come off. Youd have to look further to see what ACTUALLY broke, but you'll probably need some engine work done. That clunking noise was most likely your valves getting smacked by the piston heads
Thank you so much. I'm now in the process of getting it to Volvo so they can assess the situation. I just hope and pray they don't total it. I think if Volvo used steel grills and steel bumpers we'd see less of this internal damage
I was shocked to find out that the grill is plastic. On such a beautiful car and great brand it's very disheartening.

I'm glad I was taught when cars shake and all that, you
must pull over and STOP the engine. If I didnt, I'm sure it would be worse off.