Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Front wheels Spin out

Old 09-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheels Spin out

I have had my 2003 S60 awd for three years now.I have just recently noticed in the past few days that when I take a sharp turn or even from a stand still when I give it even 70% gas my front wheels spin out on the cement road. Car pullls nice,however, should this be happening with AWD ? It never used to. When I put the vehicle in winter mode it does not happen but the pick upis slow. I went on a dirt road and dropped the hammer and I could tell that all wheels were kicking up dirt (paint still good Would anybody have a hint as to why my front tires 'squeel' out like this now ? Is the power distribution controled electronicaly and out of whack ? My warranty says 60k I have 60,171 miles on now. Any comment greatly appreciated

Julian

Old 09-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Front wheels Spin out

That is kind of strange any funny noises when turning or anything like that?

Old 09-26-2008, 09:15 PM

No noise at all...just seems like too much power going to the front wheels. Really not sure how the car distributes the power now. I mean I could not spin out few days ago..now I can do burnouts with front tires...spoke to a tech at Volvo on the phone, he said 60k will not cover it and it sounds expensive if it is the shaft. Less expensive he said if it is the computer. I'm flipping looking at good coin to fix I'm sure or even have it looked at... My friend has a one of those devices that you can plug in and reset computer and read codes etc. I wonder if the vehicle has any sensor about that. The dash computer reports nothing and or the traction light does not go on when spinning the tires. It used when I gave it too much power on sandy roads etc. Iwould like to have an idea how to at least figure out what it could be.
Thanks for any coments

Old 09-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Try this it will not give you direct codes but it will tell you what systems have codes stored in them.
With the car running in park press and hold the read button on the turn signal switch.While still holding the read press and release the rear foglight button twice fast then let go of the read button. In the display it will say something like checking for DTC's. Then will most likely say DTC's stored in car. Press the read button and go through the systems and which ones have codes stored in them.

I really don't get many AWD cars since I am in Florida so I am trying to help as much as I can.
Maybe of there is an ABS problem or something like that it might be disabling the AWD system but im not sure.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:03 PM

Thanks so much Tech...I will try that in the morning. Nice piece of info on the codes. So now I wonder if my ABS work too...lol