Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

FT Spring Seat replacement cost

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FT Spring Seat replacement cost

I was given a price of $1140 from a Volvo dealer to have the FT spring seats replaced on my 2002 volvo s60. Can I do much better from a local shop?

Old 02-19-2011, 09:31 PM

An independent shop which specializes in Volvo ("Johnny's Auto Clinic" in San Antonio, TX) recently replaced both front spring seats in my '07 S60 for just around $420. I had the transmission flushed too, and the total for both jobs was $665.19
The local dealer here quoted me $450 to replace the parking light / position light bulbs once too (they claimed the front bumper had to come off). I bought the bulbs for $4.50 and replaced them myself.
I do not trust the Volvo dealer where I live at all. I have more, worse stories to tell of their total, utter incompetence.
If I were you, I'd look for a local shop which specializes in Volvo repair.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:52 PM

Here's the repair receipt so you can see how this shop's prices break down.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Default FT Spring Seat replacement cost

Thanks PranQster. Very helpful and thanks for taking the time to provide your repair receipt.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:54 PM

No problem. After horrible problems with the service dept. at the only dealer in my area, I am quite happy to help anyone else to avoid dealership rip-off.
Fortunately I stopped my dealership before they actually did any work, so they got none of my money. But...

A couple months back I made an appointment to take my S60 to the dealership for several items. The appointment was made just over 2 weeks in advance.
New door seals for the right front door were ordered through the parts dept. and set aside with my name on them and description of vehicle and scheduled repair date.
About 4 days before the appointment, I took a printed detailed list of all items to be done to the service dept. They made a note of it in the computer and attached it to the work order in the back (so I was told).
I took the car in bright and early on the scheduled day and waited all day for an update. At about 3:45pm they called to say they hadn't started on it but would in the morning. The next morning I got a call to ask me what needed being done. Apparently they did not see my list. They also did not know I had the door seals set aside in back. They called again after noon to tell me they needed to order the door seals, my parking light bulb change would cost ~$450, and replacing the spring seats would cost about $450 per side.
I told them to do nothing and went to pick my car up.
The service manager was polite, acknowledged problems in the service dept., but was unapologetic and an obvious butt-kisser. He was competent enough to locate the door seals in the back and explained that the mechanic was looking at the drivers door, even though both the work order and my list (which they still had) indicated the passenger door.
ROFL I was astounded.
I used super glue and black silicon to fix the door seals. I learned how to fix the parking lights myself, which took about 20 minutes including trial&error time to learn how to get to the side marker light. The spring seats were done by the shop posted above.
What fun, huh?